The Remembrance (7)

TW // mass death, child death, panic attacks, breakdowns and dissociation/derealization

If any of these topics trigger you please just skip to the end!! There will be a summary at the end explaining what happened.

/

    Sorin collapsed onto the floor again as he was back in his house. He did it, he really did it. 

    While buying the food and tampering with it, he thought he was dreaming again. Even now, his limbs felt numb to his bones. He swore his palms were sinking into his own floor. One of his hands held something he grabbed out of a closet, and the other held that necklace he’d seen earlier. It was shaped like an autumn leaf, with orange and yellow spots on it.

    He sat up to stare at the thing he grabbed.

    It looked like an old hoodie, nothing important.

    Sorin didn’t move from his spot as he felt something crept into his brain, but he didn’t have the strength to push it away. He slowly let names connect to faces, let the blood soak back into the wounds. It burned him, but he allowed it.

    “Halian.. Halian…”, he couldn’t forget it.

×××

    Fire blasted around them as the outpost began to crash down, barrels of food falling down and cracking apart as dirt and grass was spattered into the air. Lightning was tossed into the mix of horrid noises too, it sounded like a horrible symphony. 

    He hated this, he felt lost in himself now. Everything hurt, but it hurt more that he couldn’t feel it. Little voices in his head tried to comfort him.

“Sori! Sori!” Someone grabbed his arm, yanking him up. Small hands. His brother. Halian.

He was much younger than him at the time, barely 10. Yet he dragged Sorin through the destruction, yelling for their father. Everyone did what they did, running away as far they could, but it was pointless. Most of them were killed quickly, holes of lightning going through their chests and heads. Halian couldn’t look, he just dragged his delirious older brother away from the outpost. 

“SORIN!”

That was their father.

Sorin collapsed into his father’s arms, and he could feel Halian gripping his hand with a death grip. He could still feel the heat of the outpost burning, scorching his back. He wanted to cry, but he knew they couldn’t take a moment to stop. So why couldn’t Sorin bring himself to move?

“Sorin, Halian, we have to go, now.”

Despite his father trying to remain calm for them, Sorin heard the underlying anxiety in his voice, the fear at his two children being killed by-

A horrific laugh filled the air, and Sorin didn’t need another warning to run. Halian turned his head to see Sabre standing in the middle of it all. Halian always thought of him as some sort of savior, like a mystic creature he’d read in fairytales. Someone stood next to Sabre, blue mixing with black. They said something, and Sabre’s head snapped towards them like a whip.

Sorin ran with his father, running past a river and reaching a field, but it still wasn’t far enough from the outpost. The crowds around them began dying immediately, lightning struck down more and blinded them. Sorin gripped onto Halians hand the best he could, trying his hardest to ignore those horrendous screams as people died around them.

Finally, a bolt of lightning struck next to them, and Sorin felt as if he was flying for a second. His hand left Halians, and his entire torso hit the ground with a hard thud. None of this felt real, but that woke him up a bit.