Not today, Scarecrow.

Wayne Party. You never really thought you would attend such an event one day because, let's be honest, you weren't important enough. You were completely fine with that. Being important would only mean having more responsibility and it was difficult enough to take care about yourself. 

After a short day at work you made sure to get home and ready for the evening. You were sure your thoughts would only be about how to dress, how you should style your hair and which make up to wear! But no. There was still something else on your mind. No, someone else. The one and only Dr. Jonathan Crane. 

Crane who helped you. Crane who brought you to his home to take care of you. Even cook for you. Crane who seemed to be worried. But also someone you still didn't trust. You weren't that easy impressed - okay, you were impressed but that didn't mean you still had doubts. Doubts about him and the Scarecrow. Yes, you knew there was a connection. Brothers? Colleagues? Friends? There was no answer - yet. But you would find out. For sure. 

You would lie if you'd say you didn't enjoyed the time with him. It was wonderful. A wonderful fantasy, a wonderful lie. Oh god, yes. You so wished for something like that. For a man who deeply cared about you. A man who was there for you whenever you needed someone. But deep down you knew he played a game. Maybe the way he treated you was real at this exact moments. But there was so much more. You knew it. You just knew it. Gut feeling - the one feeling that never betrayed you. 

"Stop iiiiiiit, Y/N. There are more important things going on.", you reminded yourself. Taking a shower would be the first step and there you also could not stop thinking about Crane. The warm water ran down your body and showering was always the best thing to let your thoughts run free. "He never left. He... no. He never left the room.", you tried to remember everything about your first 'meeting' with the Scarecrow. You had some water - from Crane. You felt dizzy. And Crane? He never left the room - that you were finally sure of. "But why. Does that mean he is the Scarecrow? And why me?", you shook your head in disbelief. Were you on the right path or should you be worried about getting insane? 

You left the shower, cuddled yourself in that big fluffy towel and got your little notice book to write down your thoughts - always worried you could forget something. "And for now, Y/N, enough. Get ready and enjoy this event." You nodded, put on your favourite playlist and got yourself beautiful. You even decided to wear a dress and you felt truly beautiful. 

*
The Wayne Party held place at the Wayne Building, your workplace. On a floor you have never been before - with an amazing view. It was stunning. Reese had already informed you he'd be a bit late because of the traffic but as soon as you'd see Bruce Wayne you should get in touch with him. You should hand over some documents YOU had to bring with you and you should ask if he'd have some time for your boss. For you this did not matter at the moment. Sure, you should keep your eyes open for Mr. Wayne and follow the instructions your boss gave you but all you did was enjoying the view. Especially as you did not know who Bruce Wayne was. You have never seen him in person. 

Looking out of those big windows, seeing whole Gotham - that was something you would always remember. Something which finally helped you to forget about Crane for a while. You should take care of yourself and getting distracted was the perfect idea. 

A tall, handsome man joined you to see what you were looking at. You noticed him  and smiled without taking a look who was next to you, "Isn't it beautiful? I never had the chance to see Gotham from this perspective but... wow. It is stunning." "You are the first person I see who really enjoys the view and isn't interested in getting Champagne and food for free - or in opportunities for new career chances." a husky voice replied, "I haven't introduced myself. I am Bruce Wayne."

You were too stunned to speak when you finally turned your pretty head to the other person standing next to you. You shook his hand and found your voice, "I-I am sorry, Mister Wayne, I haven't recognized you. I am Y/N L/N." Your eyes were still widened. At least you knew who Bruce Wayne was and he seemed to be much nicer than Reese had told you. Maybe you just had some luck? "O-Oh, Mister Wayne. Before I forget about this... Mister Reese wants to talk with y-", Wayne shook his head and interrupted you. "Let's not talk about business. Also, if Mister Reese wants to talk with me, he should not send his...", he rose an eyebrow, "assistent?" You nodded. He took the documents you held, "I'm gonna have a look at them tomorrow. Now? Enjoy the evening, Miss L/N. And please, help yourself." Wayne left and left YOU speechless.

What was this? Did I really just met the one and only Bruce Wayne? And he talked with ME?! Why didn't I know how handsome he is? Oh God, I need some Champagne. Right. Now. - You never drank. Okay, never was a lie. You liked a glass of Champagne at New Year's Eve. For this evening you really had the feeling you needed some. You could be sure it wasn't such a cheap bubbly you used to buy. Real, expensive Champagne. Of course you remembered Reeses words you should NOT drink but hey. You had the best excuse ever, right? Bruce Wayne himself was okay with that. 

*

You successfully avoided Reese the whole evening. You sent him a short message that Bruce Wayne got the documents and will get back to him. Gladfully he accepted that and left you alone. You didn't want to cross his way - just in case. You enjoyed a glass of Champagne and some Horsd'œuvres - yes, you had your little Cinderella moment and you finally shook off any thought about Jonathan or the Scarecrow. It felt like Crane could read your mind because you just got a message. 

Dr. Jonathan Crane
One unread message.

For a moment you stared at your phone. A part of you wanted to know why he texted you. The other one wanted to enjoy the evening without thinking of him. And all you associated him with. As much as you've like the "home version" of him, all you could think of was him and his maybe-connection to the Scarecrow. "Not today, Scarecrow.", you muttered without realizing that Freudian slip. Your subsconcious seemed to know more than you did.

"Scarecrow?", a now familiar voice repeated. "Mister Wayne, nice to see you again.", you did not know much about this handsome man but you liked his company. Especially as he had the reputation to be arrogant, aloof and bragging. "Of course, Miss L/Y. I wondered... did I just hear the word Scarecrow?", he asked to your surprise. Was it important? If so, why? Did Scarecrow torture him as well? Thousands of questions came to your mind and yet you didn't know how to react and what to tell. "Well...", you started. Still thinking about what answer to give. If you would tell the truth he definitely would think you are a case for a psychiatrist or an Asylum, right? You couldn't even blame him. Wayne could read your mimic. He saw that little fight inside your head thinking about what to tell him. "Please join me for a moment in my office. I think here is not the right place to talk about this."

This felt wrong. You were scared. Follow a rich man into his office - you and him? You better think about his reputation. Wayne gets everything he wants. What if he wanted you? No, no one wanted you but just as a trophy kinda thing? "No, please. I. Just forget about the Scarecrow. It is just a... nightmare. A nightmare which follows me everywhere I go.", nicely said. The way you talked about this topic was open for interpretations. "I beg your pardon, Sir. I have to leave.", with a smile you left him standing. You, Y/N L/N, left Bruce Wayne standing at his own party. Without knowing Bruce Wayne had his own secret. A big secret and he needed an answer because it might would help him to get another villain down in Gotham. 

Cinderella moment, right? Not that you would see Bruce Wayne as your prince but the way you acted and just left felt very Cinderella-ish. For you it wasn't Midnight, for you it was the Scarecrow. "Even at a fucking amazing party he ruins everything, ugh!", you slamed your door and sighed. Maybe you were a bit too dramatic but that's who you were. For today all you wanted to do is getting bed ready and some sleep. That unread message which was still on your phone? Not. Important. Not today. Let's just hope it won't make someone angry...

Author's Note

Here we are again! Our psychiatrist wasn't a big part of this chapter, I know. And I hope you're not mad at me but trust the process. It is important for the story (and I bet you can imagine why).
Also, isn't it good that we finally got some distance from him? I promise, he will be a bigger part in the next chapter again - I mean, it is a Scarecrow x Reader Story, right?
I really hope you enjoyed this chapter as well - or at least a bit.

Thank you so much for reading and I apologize for any made mistakes!

xx