Chapter 6

Gabriel POV

My heart was beating like crazy.

Now that I saw her up close, I had no doubt in my mind that we looked so much alike.

She looked like me. We had the same eyes. We had the same nose. We had the same lips.

What the actual fuck? How was that fucking possible?

I watched her as she walked away from us.

I really fucking wanted to reach out and grab her before she left. I had this need to touch her. I had this need to hold her. I had this need to keep her safe.

What the fuck was wrong with me?!

When I heard Janet bullying her, I wanted to burn this fucking school down. I wanted to rip Janet to pieces. I felt this wave of protectiveness wash over me, and I had no fucking idea why.

Why did she look like me? Why did I want to protect her? Why did I even care?

Was Gray right? Was she a part of my family? Was she mine?

Why was she so scared? Did someone hurt her? Maybe she was just shy?

I clenched my fists and tightened my jaw so fucking hard that my teeth started to hurt.

“You need to talk to your dad.” Gray mumbled, pulling me out of my thoughts. “She is not just some random girl, man.”

What could my dad even say? He would probably just tell me that I was crazy.

“What’s her last name?” I asked Gray, pulling the phone out of my pocket.

“Evans.” Gray said, looking at my phone over my shoulder. “What are you doing?”

I started walking toward the cafeteria. Gray followed me, keeping his eyes glued to my phone.

“Trying to find her on social media.” I mumbled.

“And how would that help?” Gray sighed.

“I’m not sure yet.” I mumbled as I scrolled through my phone, opening every app I could and trying to find her accounts.

“Just talk to your dad.” Gray sighed again.

I ignored him and continued to look down at my phone.

Gray opened the cafeteria door, and we walked inside.

“What do you want to eat?” Gray asked me.

“I don’t care.” I mumbled, walking toward our usual table. “Just get me something.”

Gray mumbled something, but I ignored him again and walked away.

She didn’t exist. Aria Evans had no accounts.

I furrowed my eyebrows. How the hell didn’t she have at least one account?

“Did you find something?” Gray asked as he sat down and placed the tray in front of me.

“Nothing.” I said, looking up at him. “She doesn’t exist.”

“What do you mean?” Gray asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

“She doesn’t exist.” I repeated. “She doesn’t have any social media accounts.”

Gray’s eyes widened. “Not even Instagram?! Is she living under a rock?!”

I rolled my eyes and looked back down at my phone.

“Are you sure that her last name is Evans?” I asked.

“Yes.” Gray said. “Aria Evans.”

“I mean, she could have an account under a different name.” I mumbled, looking back up at Gray. “Maybe that’s why I can’t find her.”

“Why don’t you just talk to your dad?” Gray sighed.

I was afraid of what he would tell me. I knew for a fact that she wasn’t my sister. My dad would never keep something like that from me. I would know if I had a sister who was put up for adoption. But my parents would never do that. My parents would never put her up for adoption.

But what if she was my cousin? What if my aunt and uncle did have a child and put her up for adoption? Did my cousins know about her? I highly doubted that, though. I knew how much Andrew and Luke wanted a sister. If they knew about her, they would have done anything that they could to find her. They would have stopped their parents from giving her away.

“Are you scared of the truth?” Gray asked after I didn’t respond to his earlier question.

Damn him and his ability to read me like a fucking book.

“Maybe.” I mumbled, running my fingers through my hair.

“Come on, Gabe.” Gray sighed. “What if she really is a part of your family? Don’t you want to know?”

I did want to know. But I was scared shitless.

But what if Gray was right? What if she really was my cousin?

She was so shy and scared. What if her life with her adoptive parents wasn’t good? What if they weren’t treating her right? I was sure that Andrew and Luke would want to know that. They would burn the fucking world down if she really was their sister and someone wasn’t treating her right.
If she was really treated badly, I needed to save her. I wanted to save her.

“I will be there with you when you ask him.” Gray said softly. “If you want me to, of course.”

I was just about to answer him when the most annoying voice in the world interrupted me.

“Gabriel.” Janet called me.

I sighed angrily and rolled my eyes.

“What the fuck do you want?” I asked, turning my head to look at her.

“An explanation.” she said, raising her eyebrow.

I chuckled darkly. “And why do I owe you an explanation?”

“Because we are a couple.” Janet said angrily, clenching her fists and narrowing her eyes at me.

Gray laughed, making her snap her eyes at him.

“Why are you laughing, Gray?” Janet asked angrily.

“First of all, it’s Grayson for you.” Gray said, smirking at her. “Second of all, my boy here is not your boyfriend. Back the fuck off.”

“Are you jealous, Gray?” Janet snickered. “Are you in love with your best friend?”

I snorted, and Gray rolled his eyes.

“I have nothing to be jealous about, Janet.” Gray said. “He would always choose me over you.”

He was right. Gray came before everyone. He was my best friend. We grew up together. Janet was fucking crazy if she thought that I would ever choose her over him.

Janet rolled her eyes and looked back at me.

“What he said.” I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

“Goodbye, Janet.” Gray said, grinning.

“I will find out who she is, Gabriel.” Janet said quietly, narrowing her eyes at me. “I will make her life miserable. She doesn’t belong here. I will force her out of this school.”

I saw fucking red, and I had to stop myself from standing up and strangling her.

“Touch her and see what happens, Janet.” Gray said angrily.

He was glaring at her, but she never moved her eyes away from mine.

“Leave the girl alone.” I said, gritting my teeth. “Don’t piss me off, Janet.”

She turned around and stomped away, making an annoying sound with her heels.

“So, when are you talking to your dad?” Gray asked as soon as she walked away.

“Tonight.” I said, clenching my fists.

As much as I didn’t want to, I had to know who she was. I had to do something. The way she acted today didn’t sit well with me. Was she just shy? Was she afraid? What was she afraid of? Who was she afraid of?

Something felt wrong. I was desperately missing something, and I needed to find it.

I had so many fucking questions, and I needed answers.

I needed to know.