Chapter 58

Aria POV

I was lying in my bed and staring at the ceiling.

Gabriel was sleeping next to me. His head was on my shoulder, and his arm was around my waist. He was snoring loudly, and I remembered the first time he slept in my room. I thought that his snoring would keep me awake, but it didn’t. It comforted me. I knew that I wasn’t alone. I knew that it was Gabriel, and I knew that I was safe. His snoring helped me sleep better.

Unfortunately, his snoring didn’t help me sleep this time.

My thoughts were too loud.

My dad told me yesterday that my parents were being charged with kidnapping, abuse, and neglect. Roger was being charged with abuse.

I was glad that they were caught. I was glad that they were safe. I was glad that they wouldn’t be able to hurt me anymore.

But something was bothering me.

I wanted to see my parents. I wanted to talk to them.

I knew how stupid it was. I knew that their words would only hurt me.

But I still wanted to talk to them.

I wasn’t sure exactly why I wanted to see them. I couldn’t find a reason to talk to them.

But I wanted to.

I needed to.

I already knew what my dad would say. I already knew that Gabriel would freak out.

But I needed to talk to them.

I used to love my parents, despite everything they did to me. I remembered how much I loved them when I was a kid. I remembered how I wanted to spend time with them. I remembered how I would climb into their bed when I had a bad dream. They threw me out every time, but I never stopped trying. I loved them. I really, really did.

I needed to see them now. I needed to ask them why they hated me so much. I needed to ask them why they didn’t leave me somewhere if they didn’t want me.

I needed to know.

I glanced at the clock on my nightstand. It was 6:35 am. My dad was probably awake already.

I turned my head and placed a kiss on Gabriel’s forehead. I moved his hand away gently and started getting up. I didn’t want to wake him up.

I put my slippers on and walked to the door. I opened them quietly and left the room.

As I approached the kitchen, I heard my dad making himself a cup of coffee.

“Good morning, dad.” I said quietly as I walked into the kitchen.

My dad turned around with a surprised look on his face.

“Good morning, baby.” he said. “Why are you awake this early?”

“I couldn’t sleep.” I said as I sat down on one of the bar stools.

“Why, love?” my dad asked worriedly. “Did you have a nightmare again?”

I bit my lip and shook my head.

How would I tell him that I wanted to see my parents?

“Aria, baby?” he called me as he walked around the kitchen island toward me. “Is everything okay?”

My dad turned me around so he could wrap me up in a hug.

I wrapped my arms around him and breathed in his familiar, calming scent.

Dad kissed the top of my head and rubbed my back soothingly.

“I’m okay, dad.” I said quietly. “I just…”

I stopped talking and took a deep breath.

Dad let me go and cupped my chin. He lifted my head gently.

“Just what, baby?” he asked softly. “You can tell me anything.”

I gulped down the lump in my throat.

“I know that what I’m about to ask you will sound crazy.” I said quietly. “I can’t even understand why I want it. I just know that I do.”

My dad furrowed his eyebrows. He studied my face for a second.

“I will listen with an open mind, love.” he said softly as he caressed my cheek. “You can ask me anything.”

I took another deep breath and tightened my arms around my dad.

“I would like to see Mark and Rose.” I said quietly.

I tried my best not to call them my parents in front of my dad. I could tell how much it hurt him, and it was the last thing I wanted. It was hard, though. I thought that they were my parents for 17 years. It was weird for me to call them anything else. But I tried so hard for my dad.

I would do anything for my dad.

I held my breath, waiting for his response.

His eyes widened, and his grip on me tightened.

“Why, baby?” he asked, shocked.

I bit my lip, trying to figure out the best way to explain it to him.

“I’m not even sure myself.” I said, trying to be as honest as possible. “I just need to see them. I need to talk to them.”

It was hard to be honest when I was as confused about my request as my dad.

“They are just going to say something that will hurt you, baby.” dad said softly. “I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

I knew that. I was ready for that.

“I know, dad.” I said quietly.

Dad tightened his jaw and took a deep breath.

“But you still want to do it?” he asked.

I nodded, and he placed a kiss on my forehead.

“I will talk to Owen and see if it can be arranged.” he said. “I have a few conditions, though.”

“Okay.” I said immediately.

I would do anything for my dad. Anything.

“Number one, I will go in there with you.” dad said, caressing my cheek. “Number two, if at any point I think that they took it too far, I’m taking you out of there. Number three, it will only be for a few minutes, not longer than that.”

“Okay, dad.” I said, giving him a small smile. “I agree with everything.”

Dad smiled back at me and kissed my cheek.

“Can I ask you something else?” I mumbled.

“Anything, love.” dad said softly.

“Can you be the one to tell Gabriel?” I asked nervously.

I already knew that my brother would freak out. I was scared to tell him.

A small smirk spread across my dad’s face.

“I was just about to ask you the same thing.” he said teasingly. “I’m kind of scared to tell him.”

I laughed, and my dad pulled me into another tight hug.

“We’ll do it together, baby.” my dad said softly. “We will do everything together. I will never leave you alone, love.”

I smiled and buried my head into my dad’s chest.

“I love you, dad.” I said.

I did. I loved him so much. He was the best dad ever. I didn’t know what I did to deserve him.

“I love you too, my baby.” dad said as he placed a kiss on the top of my head. “I love you so much.”