Chapter 45

Gabriel POV

“I think it went well.” Gray said as we entered my car.

I shot him a glare. It didn’t go well. Guys were staring at my sister, and Janet kept glaring at her. I wanted to rip everyone to pieces.

“Yes, it did.” Aria said softly as she fastened her seat belt.

“Too many guys stared at you.” I said, as I started the car and pulled out of the parking lot.

“He is in big brother mode.” Gray snorted, making Aria chuckle.

“We are twins.” Aria said, turning around to look at Gray.

“I’m older than you.” I said, glancing at her. “But even if I wasn’t, I still wouldn’t be okay with guys looking at you.”

“At least Janet took your warning seriously.” Gray said, leaning between Aria and me. “She didn’t say anything to Aria.”

“Who is Janet?” Aria asked, making Gray turn to look at her.

“The bitch I saved you from the day we became best friends.” Gray said, running his fingers through her hair.

“She glared at her.” I said as I gripped the steering wheel tightly. “I warned her about glaring too.”

“You warned her?” Aria asked, leaning forward so she could look at me over Gray.

If he leaned further, he would be sitting on one of our laps.

“Of course I did.” I said, pushing Gray back. “Did you really think that I would let her or anyone else bully you?”

“You didn’t scare her, did you?” she asked worriedly.

“Of course not.” I said, shaking my head. “I just told her to leave you alone.”

Gray chuckled, making me look at him through the rearview mirror.

Thankfully, Aria didn’t hear him.

“Thank you.” she said softly, giving me a small smile.

“There’s no need to thank me, Ari.” I said. “It’s my job and my honor to protect you.”

“You are so cute, man.” Gray said, making me roll my eyes. “I wish you were my twin.”

“Well, I’m not.” I mumbled as I parked the car in front of my house.

“No need to rub it in, man.” Gray complained as he opened the car door.

I rolled my eyes and left the car.

I saw my dad opening the front door with a huge smile on his face.

“Hello, my babies.” dad said. “I missed you.”

Aria walked to him with a smile on her face. He pulled her into a hug and kissed the top of her head.

“I will see you later, man.” Gray said, patting my back.

“See you.” I said, walking toward my dad and Aria.

“See you later, A.” Gray shouted as he walked toward his house. “I will come by so we can watch Game of Thrones.”

“I can’t wait.” Aria said, smiling and waving at him.

He’s been talking about that show for an entire day. I couldn’t believe that I would have to watch it tonight.

“Bye, Mr. H.” Gray shouted, waving at my dad.

“Bye, Gray.” dad said, smiling and pulling Aria into the house.

I followed them and closed the front door.

“How was your first day back, baby?” dad asked as he helped Aria take her jacket off.

“It was good.” she said. “I liked it.”

“What about you, bud?” dad asked, looking up at me.

“Too many guys looked at her.” I mumbled, taking my jacket off.

Dad chuckled and shook his head.

“Are you hungry, baby?” dad asked Aria, taking her hand in his and walking to the kitchen.

“Not really.” she said. “I ate lunch at school.”

“Okay, love.” dad smiled as he motioned for us to sit down at the table.

I sat down next to Aria and pulled her chair closer to me. I didn’t get to hug her properly the entire day. I put my arm around her shoulders and kissed her temple.

“I called your uncle today.” dad said as he sat down opposite us. “They will come over for dinner tonight.”

I snapped my head toward my dad.

What? Already? It was too soon.

“Is that okay with you, love?” dad asked Aria.

I felt her tense up a little, but she nodded.

“That’s okay.” she said softly. “I am ready.”

I wasn’t.

“I wanted to talk to you about your uncle before they arrived.” my dad said, glancing at me.

Aria furrowed her eyebrows.

“You know that your uncle is your mom’s older brother, right?” dad started.

“Yes.” Aria said softly, nodding her head.

I was nervous and pissed off. I picked Aria up and placed her on my lap. I needed her to keep me calm.

I didn’t want them to come yet. I didn’t want them to scare her.

Aria looked at me and ran her fingers through my hair.

“Are you okay?” she asked me.

“I’m fine.” I mumbled, looking at my dad.

He gave me a knowing look and sighed.

“It was very hard for your uncle when your mom died, love.” dad continued, making Aria look back at him.

She continued to run her fingers through my hair, and I was very thankful to her because it kept me calm.

“He loved her a lot, and he didn’t take it well when she died.” dad said, looking down at his hands. “When I told him how much you looked like your mom, it made him so happy.”

“I’m glad.” Aria said softly, making dad look up at her and give her a small smile.

“I am too, baby, but I am also a little bit worried.” dad said.

I clenched my fists and tightened my arms around Aria.

“Why?” she asked, furrowing her eyebrows again.

“I’m worried that he will look at you like you are your mom.” dad sighed. “I told him that you weren’t her. But he could do it unintentionally, baby, and I want you to be prepared. I want you to know why it is happening.”

A wave of anger washed over me. She was my sister. Mine.

Not his.

Mine.

Aria fidgeted nervously and glanced at me.

“But he won’t hurt me?” she asked.

“No, baby, never.” dad said, reaching out over the table and taking her hand in his. “He loves you so much. He will never hurt you.”

“I wouldn’t let him.” I said as I kissed her temple. “I will be with you the entire time. I won’t leave you.”

Aria looked at me and smiled.

“Thank you.” she said, leaning her head on my shoulder.

I leaned my head on hers and took a deep breath.

I wasn’t ready for them to come. I wasn’t ready for them to take her away from me. What if they took her away from me? What if she liked them better? Andrew was calmer than me. Luke was funnier. What if she liked them better?

I clenched my fists and tightened my jaw.

I couldn’t let that happen. I couldn’t lose her.

Not again.