Chapter 9

Gabriel POV

I was staring at the picture in my hands. I couldn’t look away.

She was my sister. My twin. I had a sibling. I wasn’t alone in this world. I had her.

I was right all those times when I felt like something was missing. She was missing. I was missing her.

My sister. My twin.

My emotions were a complete mess. I was happy, I was confused, I was scared, and I was sad. I felt everything that I could possibly feel.

But after the first few minutes, the only emotion I could feel was rage.

I looked up at my dad and narrowed my eyes.

“Why isn’t she with me?!” I asked, clenching my fists and tightening my jaw. “Why didn’t she grow up with me?! Why did you give her away?! Why did you take her from me?!”

Gray reached out and grabbed my hand in his.

My dad looked hurt and in pain.

“We never gave her up, Gabriel.” my dad said quietly. “We could never do that. I could never do that. She is my little girl.”

The rage inside of me was replaced with confusion.

I furrowed my eyebrows and narrowed my eyes at my dad. If he lied to me…

“She was kidnapped, Gabriel.” my dad said, his voice breaking. “She was taken from the hospital two days after you were born.”

My eyes widened, and my jaw dropped.

“What the fuck?” Gray mumbled.

“We searched for her for years.” dad said, looking down at his hands. “The police declared her dead after three years. Your mom couldn’t handle that. It killed her.”

My heart was breaking over and over again. I couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t speak.

Gray’s hold on my hand tightened, and I was so fucking glad that he stayed.

Although, I wanted her. I wanted to hold her hand. I wanted to hold her.

“Your mom was diagnosed with depression after the kidnapping.” my dad continued, wiping the tears from his cheeks. “She also had a heart problem when she was a kid. It only worsened after what happened. She just gave up. She couldn’t handle the pain.”

I felt a tear fall down my cheek. I knew that my mom died because she had issues with her heart, but I didn’t know about the depression.

“I never gave up.” dad continued, sobbing quietly. “I couldn’t give up. I had a feeling that my little girl wasn’t dead.”

“Why would someone take her, Mr. Sanders?” Gray asked quietly. “Did you have any enemies?”

My dad shook his head, keeping his eyes on his hands.

“The police thought that maybe one of my patients or a relative of one of my patients who wasn’t satisfied with the treatment took her.” dad said quietly. “They had a theory that maybe they took her and left her at an orphanage. We searched every fucking orphanage in the country, but she wasn’t there.”

My body felt like a fucking stone. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t breathe.

What if she was still living with the person who kidnapped her? What if she was scared of that person? What if that person hurt her?

A wave of rage and protectiveness washed over me so fucking strong that I almost threw up.

“What if she is still living with the person who took her?” I mumbled, gritting my teeth so damn hard that my jaw hurt.

Gray gasped loudly.

“She is scared, Mr. Sanders.” Gray said, squeezing my hand tightly. “She is shy. She is not looking up at people. Something is wrong, Mr. Sanders. Something is wrong.”

Gray said what I was thinking.

“We need to get her out of there, dad.” I said, trying to stay calm. “We need to go get her.”

I wanted her back. I needed her back. I needed to know that she was safe, and the only safe place for her was right next to me.

Dad grabbed the phone out of his pocket and scrolled through his contacts.

“Who are you calling?” I asked.

“Sheriff Rivers.” dad said. “He knows about your sister. We need to tell him about this. He needs to arrest the fuckers who have her.”

“We can just go get her!” I exclaimed. “We don’t need him!”

My dad sighed and looked at me.

“What if she isn’t our Aria?” my dad said, his voice breaking. “What if it’s a coincidence that she looks like you? What if we end up taking her from her real parents?”

“She is mine!” I shouted angrily, clenching my fists.

I had no doubt in my mind. My heart knew. My body knew. She was mine. She was my Aria.

“Your dad is right, Gabe.” Gray said softly. “Those people could be dangerous. Calling the police is the safest thing to do. For her and for you.”

I looked at Gray, and he gave me a small smile.

“Rivers?” I heard my dad say as he stood up. “It’s Henry. I need you to come to my house. I think I’ve found my daughter.”

I watched my dad as he nodded at whatever the sheriff was telling him.

I had another important question for him.

“Yes.” my dad said, pacing around the room. “I’m home. Come as soon as you can. I want my daughter back with me tonight.”

My dad hung up the phone and looked back at Gray and me.

“He will be here in 15 minutes.” my dad said, placing his phone back into his pocket.

I looked down at the picture in my hand. I pressed it against my chest and closed my eyes.

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” I asked quietly, keeping my eyes closed. “Why didn’t you tell me about her?”

“I couldn’t.” my dad mumbled. “I couldn’t hurt you like that. I couldn’t do that to you. I couldn’t tell you that she was declared dead. I couldn’t tell you that I didn’t believe that she was really dead. I couldn’t give you false hope.”

I opened my eyes and looked back down at the picture.

“It wouldn’t be false.” I mumbled quietly. “I always knew she existed. I always missed her.”

“You are getting her back, Gabe.” Gray said, placing his hand on my shoulder and squeezing it. “She will be right next to you soon.”

“I need her.” I mumbled. “I need to know that she is safe.”

My dad sat back down next to me and pulled me into a hug.

“She will be back with us tonight.” my dad said. “I will do whatever I have to. I’m getting my daughter back. She will be safe, Gabe.”

I wrapped my arms around my dad and leaned my head on his shoulder.

“I’m so sorry, bud.” my dad mumbled, his voice breaking. “I love you so much.”

“I love you too, dad.” I said, trying to stop myself from crying.

A knock on the door interrupted our hug.

Sheriff Rivers was here early.

Thank fuck.

I was going to get my sister back.

Tonight.

_____________________________________________

Wow, four chapters in one day! 😁 I had a lot of inspiration today. 😊

I hope you liked it! 🥰

Are you ready for their dad's POV tomorrow? 😃