Chapter 39

Aria POV

It’s been four days since I moved in with Gabriel and my real dad.

Those four days were the best days of my life.

I didn’t get hit. I wasn’t yelled at. I didn’t feel unloved or unwanted. I wasn’t hungry. I wasn’t thirsty. I wasn’t cold.

For the first time in my life, I was happy.

But I knew that something would go wrong. This couldn’t have been permanent. This couldn’t have been my life now.

Something had to go wrong.

But what?

“You have to go back, Gabriel.” my real dad sighed.

We were sitting in the kitchen, eating lunch, and talking about school.

“And be without her for an entire day?” Gabriel frowned. “No way. I’m going back when she is.”

My real dad wanted me to stay home for another week or two so I could recover fully. He wanted Gabriel to go back to school tomorrow. Gabriel wasn’t happy about it.

To be honest, I wanted Gabriel to stay home as well. I felt safest with him. I was calm when he was around. I felt safe with my real dad too, but he wasn’t Gabriel. He wasn’t my twin. I wanted my twin.

But I knew that Gabriel had to go back. His education was way more important than me and my wishes. I would be okay without him for a few hours.

“You have to go to school, bud.” my real dad sighed. “Aria will be okay.”

“I won’t be okay, dad.” Gabriel said, pulling my chair closer to him. “I don’t want to leave her. I can’t leave her.”

My heart broke for him.

“I can go to school tomorrow.” I said, looking at my real dad. “I feel fine.”

Actually, I’ve never felt better. I couldn’t remember a time when I went four days without being hit. My body has never had fewer injuries. I felt great.

Not to mention that I went to school in worse condition than I was in right now. I went to school with broken ribs, with open wounds, and with infected cuts.

“No, baby.” my real dad said softly. “You need to rest and heal.”

“Dad is right, Aria.” Gabriel mumbled as he kissed my temple. “You can’t go to school yet.”

I looked at Gabriel and nodded. I wanted to try to convince them to let me go to school with Gabriel, but I was too scared to argue with them. I was making huge progress with just looking up at them and speaking when no one asked me anything. I was way too scared to go against their wishes or say something that might anger them.

A part of me was still scared that they would make me go back to my parents.

What if I wasn’t what they expected? What if they get tired of me and my behavior? What if they thought that I was a burden?

I was aware of how hard it was for them to be around me. I was aware that they were trying to be careful about what they said. I was aware that they were trying not to show their anger because they thought it would scare me.

What if they decided that they had enough? What if they sent me back to my parents?

A wave of panic washed over me. My heart raced. My palms got sweaty. Each breath I took was painful.

My parents would kill me. They would torture me and kill me. I knew it. I wouldn’t be alive for long if my parents got their hands on me again.

I closed my eyes and tried to calm down.

I wasn’t with my parents.

Yet…

“Aria?” I heard my name being called, and I opened my eyes.

“Are you okay, baby?” my real dad asked worriedly.

“I’m fine.” I mumbled, picking up my fork. “I’m sorry. I got lost in thought.”

“That’s okay, love.” my real dad said. “Do you want to share your thoughts with us?”

I shook my head, keeping my eyes on my plate.

Gabriel wrapped his arms around me and kissed my temple again.

“That’s okay, baby.” my real dad said, reaching out and tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear. “But you know that you can tell us everything, right?”

I nodded, trying to swallow the lump in my throat.

I was scared to share my thoughts with them. What if they got angry?

“I love you.” Gabriel mumbled, kissing my temple again.

I looked up at him and smiled. I leaned my head on his shoulder and wrapped my arms around his waist.

I looked at my real dad. He had a smile on his face.

“Nothing makes me happier than seeing the two of you together.” he said.

“And now you are trying to separate us by sending me to school.” Gabriel complained.

My real dad rolled his eyes and sighed.

“It’s only a couple of hours a day, Gabriel.” my real dad said. “I’m not separating you.”

“Yes, you are.” Gabriel argued. “I’m not going without her.”

My heart clenched painfully. I understood Gabriel completely. I didn’t want him to leave me. Not even for a few hours.

But I also didn’t want them to fight because of me. What if they got angry at me?

“Gabriel…” my real dad started talking, but he was interrupted when his phone vibrated.

He pulled it out of his pocket and looked at it.

His eyebrows furrowed, and he looked up at me.

“Is everything okay?” I asked quietly, leaning even more into my brother.

“It’s your uncle Julian.” my real dad mumbled. “He is asking if you would be okay with meeting them today?”

My heart raced, and my palms started sweating again. Gabriel’s arms tightened around me.

“We would video call them, baby.” my dad added softly.

Was I ready?

No.

But, honestly, I would never be ready. I would never be brave enough.

Maybe I should just do it. They couldn’t hurt me through the laptop.

“Okay.” I mumbled quietly, trying to stop my voice from shaking. “Can Gabriel be with me the whole time?”

I couldn’t do it without him. He made me feel safe. I needed him with me.

“Of course.” Gabriel said, kissing the top of my head. “I will be with you the whole time.”

My real dad smiled and looked back down at his phone. He typed something and put the phone back in his pocket.

“They will love you, baby.” my real dad said softly, reaching out and taking my hand in his. “Gabriel and I will be with you the entire time.”

I nodded and gave him a grateful smile.

Despite their reassurances, my insides were shaking. I was scared.

I was going to meet the rest of my family today.

What if they didn’t like me?