[~ chapter 14 ~]

( ❀ )
Part fourteen,

꧁ 𝘎𝘰𝘭𝘥𝘧𝘪𝘴𝘩 ꧂

...

-

-

"Kunikuzushi."

"Haa..?"

"Kunikuzushi.."

"Who are you.."

"Let......stia.... Ever.. ken."

"Who are you?"

"Please...."

"Wait-"

"tect- her."

Like that, the dream and the woman's voice ended. Scaramouche woke up in cold sweat, not realizing he even fell asleep in the first place. The first thing he searched for was the fragment of the mask, which was now warmed up from being right next to his body for nearly a day. He had fallen asleep on his desk, papers spread out all over the place and the ink bottle dangerously close to the edge. It was a miracle how the palace was still intact after the emperor's rage.

The letter from that traitor was still being inspected by a team, investigating about when it was written, comparing the handwriting and the materials used. He felt somewhat hopeful as the day mentioned in the paper finally arrived. But humans aren't to be trusted, so who was there to believe.

Ruffling his locks back to its place, the emperor got up from the chair and walked around his chamber. Due to its huge structure, one could have a whole workout in the room. Kunikuzushi hurriedly changed his outfit into a nearly same looking one, before placing the mask inside again. Almost as if the inanimate object will cool down.

The guards by his doors bowed in response to his appearance. Marching down the hallways, he saw a purple haired female in the distance. Isn't it his sister who he swore came out of her chambers once every year.

"Scaramouche. What is this commotion about?" With a sigh, Scaramouche turned his back to her.

"Stay out of my business, Makoto." The said figure stood in her place and stared into his eyes, searching for his true intentions. "What I wish to do is not yours to concern yourself." She eventually sighed and shook her head. The shogun watched her retreat past by presumably to her chambers.

"I cannot understand how your principles are shaken by a mere wanderer. However, I sent soldiers under my command to help with whatever you are searching for."