chapter 17

it's been four days since i last heard from jay and my fourth day sitting next to della and watching her sleep. the doctors took her off of the medication that had her in a coma and have been waiting for her to wake up naturally. i packed a bag of clothes for delly with toothpaste, soap, and more things so when she woke up she'd feel as back to herself as possible.

this trip back to the city was supposed to be what really solidified della and i's relationship. i wanted to show she the world.. and instead this happened.

i typed on my laptop diligently, emailing prospective clients about writing their songs. my profession has grown exponentially in just a few months and my inbox is overflowing with emails. i only take jobs that i for real want to do. i shifted uncomfortably in the hospital chair, sighing.

"delly..." i spoke and watched as her heart monitor sped up. she'd found a way to excite herself enough to make her heart beat faster in order to let me know that she's listening. i chuckled softly.

"i didn't really have nothing to say i just miss you, love." i said, wrapping my hand around her fingers. her monitor sped up even more. "i already booked our plane ticket to la. i wasn't kidding. there's nothing left for us to do here." i said.

not having heard from jay has given me more anxiety than i thought possible, she's completely gone rogue, down to her social media being deactivated to her phone number being disconnected.

my phone rang in my pocket and i checked it, of course it was finneas. "hello?" i answered. "hey baby sis, how's della?" he asked and i sighed, holding my phone between my ear and shoulder, typing furiously on my laptop.

"she's still asleep but all her vitals are fine, she's expected to wake up soon." i said and he hummed.

"damn, all i been hearing is that damn keyboard. have you rested at all?" finneas asked me and i blew out a breath. "nah, i gotta stay up unless delly wakes up and im trying to satisfy my clients all at once. im stressed, finn." i said.

"you gotta get some sleep, bil. you need to be well rested for della when she wakes up, don't you?" he said and i really thought about his words. "you're right.." i said and we said our goodbyes before i closed my laptop and sat back in the chair.

i scrolled through my phone for a bit before falling asleep.

i awoke to the sound of beeping, shooting up instantly. i looked around frantically to see della awake, eyes open and trying to take the tube out of her throat. "oh shit.. hold on baby don't take it out." i pulled her hands back down to the side before running out the room and calling the nurses.

they rushed into the room, quickly taking out the tube and replacing her iv. i quickly got her some water, feeding it to her. she cleared her throat, looking at me slowly. after the nurses left us to have a moment together she spoke up.

"billie im so sorry." was the first thing she said, her voice rough.

"there's no need to be sorry ma-" she held up her hand and cut me off. "no listen to me. billie im so sorry for how i treated you. you and jay have been the only constant people in my life that have been on my side. when i thought i was finna die i thought about how i haven't had enough time with you and how i want so much more. i love you billie and i never wanna lose you." della said, letting a singular tear fall down her face.

my heart raced as i processed her words, the words i wanted to hear for so long.

"im so sorry that it took for me to almost die to realize what good i have in my life, im sorry." she spoke, ashamed almost. she didn't look at me while she said this, instead choosing to look at her hands.

i tilted her chin gently to look at me. "della it don't matter how long it was gonna take for you to soften up to me. i love you and im always going to be here for you. im taking you back with me. i wanna build something with you." i said, stroking her face gently.

the crease in her eyebrows unfolded, relief flooding her face. "thank you." was all she said, allowing me to wipe her tears. i kissed her forehead gently.

"what really happened to me?" she asked and i explained the situation. when she tackled her assailant, he fired his gun, the bullet ricocheting off the wall of the truck and into della's torso. it was a clean shot, ripping right through her.

"jesus." is all she said, taking in her surroundings. "where are we? shit, where's jay? kayden?" she asked and i explained that we're in bellevue hospital and everything else.

"of course that motherfucker set kayden up. i never ever wanted him to get into this lifestyle." she said, guiltily. "i don't think he had much of a choice dell." i said and she nodded. "i gotta think of something." she said, putting her head in her hands.

"what you need to focus on is getting better." i said to her, gently stroking her hair. she leaned into my touch, sighing sadly. "you're right."

heyyyy how y'all doing? lmaoo sorry for disappearing yall but i got some random inspo for billie & della's happy ending and im excited to write it. <333333