16 | a quitters resolve

Despite all your warnings, Naruto managed to get his ass handed to him for the most part. Every hit, every swing, all of it effortlessly blocked and countered. You could tell most people's eyes were set on Neji's victory - if he did win, you figured there went the possibility of any emotional impact on him.

Though, when Neji began to expose the Hyuga clan for its ways, that's when you knew the fight was getting to Nejis head. The story you had eventually gotten in minimal parts came out in its full glory - maybe Naruto would see him in less of a bad light than before, see why Nejis fury truly was justified - but while it was true that his past was cruel, he wasn't the only one with a shitty childhood. Still, you felt bad - for exposing all his tricks, for getting so angry at him. But you figured someone like Naruto, who got so touchy would be able to knock some sense into Neji like you never could.

Naruto had managed to reach out and use the Chakra of the nine-tailed fox, you could tell it had caught Neji off guard - he had seen hints of Chakra that resembled it coming from you. When you would spar and he ended up blocking all your chakra points - a seconr type of Chakra would emit from you. He managed to put up a good fight, effectively 'knocking' Naruto out. But with Neji having gone and used all his energy and chakra - he was knocked out in a single hit from below. You had no idea how he didn't see it coming or how a single blow managed to knock him out, but you cheered. Naruto was surprised himself, which is why he jumped and cheered, blowing kisses to the crowd as he basked in the glory.

"No way! He won?!" Shikamaru gaped, "I thought lame-ass types didn't get anywhere in life."

"Lame-ass type?" Shino repeated.

"He used the chakra of the nine-tailed beast... That's the first time I've seen him use it. Guess Neji really made him mad." You commented. That statement made Shikamaru turn toward you with distaste on his face.

"That reminds me. The red-haired freak said there were three demons, I know damn well I don't have one of those. So don't tell me you have one of them, too?" He asked, eyes narrowing as he sweatdropped.

"... Well..." You looked away from him, you knew Gaara was standing close. "I dunno.. Maybe he knows something we don't." You responded carefully. Shikamaru groaned, resting his upper body against the railing.

"Man, if you do, it'll be a big drag to go up against." He groaned - but he didn't look scared.

So you found the heart to smile in that moment, turning your body around to greet Naruto - congratulating him for his win. His cheers died down as it eventually came to most peoples understanding that Sasuke hadn't shown up. His match against Gaara seemed to be the most anticipated. Kankuro had quit his match against Shino - which left and Shikamaru to turn your heads to each other.

"... I think I'm gonna forfeit." You said.

"No, I think I will. I don't want to put in more effort than I have to." He said with the shake of his head. You both stared at eachother for a second before you both raised your arms at the same time - it caught the proctors attention, but neither of you were given the chance to speak as Naruto pushed Shikamaru over the railing.

"Go for it, Shikamaru! Don't be a wuss!" Naruto laughed. You looked over the railing, watching as he hit the floor. It was a hard hit that had you looking away, toward Naruto. He was grinning at you.

"Well, you too [Firstname]! I'll cheer for you!"

You sighed, listening to the name calling the crowd was giving. They really weren't happy with all the match skipping and delays. They were especially unhappy with the match between a girl with no known background and some kid from the Nara clan. But, to spare Shikamaru the embarrassment of being the only one down there, you jumped across to the other side.