22 | answer to the call of love!

"It is okay, I am sure Guy Sensei will not mind buying you another set!" Lee tried to reassure you, seeing the disheartened look on your face. They both knew of your financial struggles—but there wasn't much they could do in the sense of helping you with things like rent. It wasn't like Neji got an allowance from his lousy uncle, and he wasn't about to ask either. Just because his uncle apologized didn't mean Neji forgave him.

Lee having lost his parents during the Ninetails attack meant he had his own rent paid for by the Hokage—and the Hokage after that until Lee was an adult. You however—did not have a lousy uncle to live with, and did not lose your parents in the Leaf.

"That was a gift, though." You sighed. "Gifts aren't replaceable." You concluded. Lee and Neji shared a look—it was the gift part you were concerned about. Seeing you couldn't afford anything yourself, you highly appreciated anything else you were given.

"If Guy Sensei were to buy you a new pair, wouldn't that be considered a gift as well?" Neji asked.

"Well, if he feels obligated to get me a replacement, I don't think so." You answered. "I shouldn't have trusted Shikamaru of all people—with how lazy he is, I shouldn't be surprised."

Neji hummed. "I see. That's quite unfortunate..." He said.

"Very much so..." Lee nodded. "You deserve all the gifts in the world, my love!"

"I'd just lose them all..." You sighed dejectedly before you perked up. "Oh, but every second spent with you guys is a gift in itself..." You grinned—Kankuro had also rubbed off on you in the way he teased others. It worked, Lee froze. First it was shock that shivered up and down his body, and the next second, he shrieked—falling over at the shock.

"I think I am going into shock!" He yelled, eyes shut. He was so used to being the one on the team that said things along those lines—you and Neji mostly let your gratitude show in little ways, but to have you say it straight up... "Neji, you must say something next!" He said.

"What!?" Neji looked down at him. "What are you talking about, Lee? Get off the floor, the nurse told you to not strain your body like you're doing now." He demanded. "You're completely overreacting..."

Lee only let out a sigh. "My eternal rival always acts aloof... Neji, let your heart answer to the call of love!"

"What 'love'!?" Neji answered, "Must you always make a fool out of me!?" Well, getting a reaction out of his teammate was always fun, especially when it was a reaction no one other than the two of you got to see.

Although your teammates made you feel a lot better, you sighed just about a million times on your way home that day, head lowered in disappointment. You had wasted all your money on food, and now you couldn't even afford your training equipment.

"It's not so bad, M'lady..." Shisui said in a feeble attempt to make you feel better. "How heavy were those weights, anyway?" He asked.

You sighed again, "Not to much. Just around three hundred pounds each..." Shisuis jaw dropped—that was 'not to much'?! And from what he's heard, Lee had heavier weights than you and Neji combined. "What'll be heavier than that is my debt after I try to buy another pair!"

"You just carry around six hundred pounds!?" Shisui said in horror, watching as you dug through your bag for your apartment key.

"Not anymore clearly..." You sighed, making your way up the stairs of your apartment. "Those were a gift from my Sensei, losing them... Shisui, I'm the worst student ever! First he pays for my rent—and then I lose a precious gift!" You burst, balling the key into your fist.