47 | a pill hard to swallow

"It's been a while since we were last here. In this clearing..." You observed, sat on top of a tree stump. You couldn't even remember if it was there before, you figured deforestation should be a lot more apart, but you hadn't a clue.

But noticing the marks of wearing, you recalled Lee confessing to you that he used to kick it all the time during training. So yes, it was there the entire time.

"Yes, it has been quite a while!" Lee smiled; he had no clear reason for choosing this place of all the options you both had. But if he really had to guess, he'd probably chalk it down to sentimentality. Just the two of you, in this clearing that you both declared as your own personal spot. Times were nice back then, when all you truly had to worry about was training and the academy. It wasn't to say that life was terribly horrible now – it was fine. Despite being wanted by a terrorist organization, despite having been killed more than once, despite losing your own family and now having your friends distance themselves... It was fine.

There was always something good in the overwhelming bad, like having Lee here beside you now. Having him around was always nice, and in all honesty, you couldn't recall a time he wasn't there. Of course, the same went for Shisui. But even someone just revived from the dead had their own ailments, he had business to care for. Besides, he swore his loyalty. Whether it be platonic or romantic, he had said so – and an Uchiha didn't go back on their word. At least, you hoped.

"There is something on your mind." Lee observed – looking over at you with a curious look on his face. "You can speak your mind, [Firstname]." He assured with a smile, offering you a bag of what looked like spicy chips.

You looked down at him, he had sat beside the tree stump you decided to rest on – so his body was turned slightly to offer you that reassurance. You smiled, reaching to grab the bag from his hands. "It's nothing, really. I just remembered that I promised my cat I'd bring him something from the store. He'll get mad if I don't bring what I promised."

"You have a cat?" Lee asked, blinking a few times at the shock. 'AHH! How could I not know this?! I am simply the worst! How could I ever even begin to consider a date when I cannot do this much!?'

In an instant, he was on the floor in defeat. 'This is horrible! Has she told me about it before!?'

"Uh, Lee... It seems like there's something on your mind." You pointed out, sweat dropping. "Everything alright?"

Lee got up, fists balled as she turned his body toward you. "Your cat is so cute!" He blurted out loud, tears streaming down his eyes. "It is the cutest I have ever seen!"

"Jeez... Have you ever even seen him before, Lee?" You sweat dropped, brows furrowed in a mix of concern and confusion. As far as you were aware, Lee had yet to meet your over-the-top cat.

"Ah-" Lee paused, his mouth falling open in shock as if you'd caught him in the worst scandal of his life.

"Well... I..." He was at a loss for words before he was consumed with dreaded guilt. "I am sorry!" He wept. "I am the worst teammate ever! I was only pretending to have seen it because I know how important a detail like that could be to a girl!"

You were stunned into silence, a bead of sweat rolling down your temple. "It's really not such a big deal... The cats got a such a smart mouth, I'd consider myself lucky that you haven't met him..." You grimaced, casting a glance to the side as you recalled how many times the cats made a fool out of you in such a short amount of time. "And I'm pretty sure cats are important to guys, too...."

Lee's eyes flew open in an instant, his tears seemingly disappearing after what you said. 'So she likes guys with a pet! I see! Yes, I know how it is! Kiba, you will not beat me here!' He furrowed his brows, balling his fist.