Friends

It was the following Friday and Louis returned to the room after his PE lesson. His hair was still damp from the shower he had taken in the locker rooms. When he entered the room he greeted by Niall packing his stuff into his suitcases in a haste.

"Niall?" Louis lifted a questioning eyebrow at the boy, placing his training bag down by the door. "What are you doing?"

"I am moving into Zayn and Liam's room," Niall said curtly, throwing a stack of shorts into the suitcase.

Louis stared blankly at the boy. What the actual-"Why?" he asked, perplexed.

"Why?" Niall huffed and straightened his back so he was looking straight at Louis. "Why? Because I can't fucking stand being in my own room! That's why."

"I don't understand-"

"Listen, Louis, I love you-"

"-Weird moment to announce it, but I will take it."

"Shut it." Niall sent him a look that could kill. "I can't stand being in here. Liam and Zayn have an extra bed in their room that they said I could take and don't fucking ask why I am moving out. You and Harry are impossible to be around. As late as last night you almost broke the picture of my family in Ireland-" he gestured toward the picture that was now lying down next to his suitcase, not yet having been put in, "-by throwing a pillow toward Harry, your aim is completely off by the way. And why did you do it? Because he had outdone you in a history test and bragged about it."

"It's not nice to brag," Louis pointed out.

"Like you wouldn't have done that yourself," Niall huffed and threw the last few things into the suitcase. "Really, Louis, I am sorry. But I want to be able to sleep without listening to two people yell each others ears off. It's like a freaking warzone. I will move in again when you can... do not argue anymore."

"Not going to happen." Louis shook his head lightly and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Well," Niall shrugged. "Then enjoy your alone time with your new roommate."

He took a grip on the handle of the suitcase and started strolling toward the door and Louis. It then occurred to Louis that Niall really meant it. Really meant it.

"You can't leave, Niall. Please," he said. "I am not going to survive living with him alone."

"And I can't survive sleeping in the same room as the two of you." Niall shook his head a little. "Relax, Tommo." Louis who had been trying to stop Niall from walking out the door, stopped dead in his tracks. "It's not like we are not going to be-are you all right, Louis?"

"Tommo?" Louis looked weirdly at Niall. Tommo.

"It's a nickname," Niall chuckled and grabbed the doorhandle. "You know, since we are friends. Friends give each other nicknames."

"We are friends?" Louis echoed his words, a questioning tint to his words.

"Of course we are. Even though you are a horrendous roommate," Niall chuckled. "Now, I will head to Zayn and Liam's room. Join us later."

"Um, I... okay." Louis nodded a little to himself. "Yeah, okay, yeah. I will. I just have to work on some history homework first." He nodded his head lightly, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his hoodie.

"So you can outdo Harry?"

"Why else?"

"Education?"

"Now you just sound stupid, Horan."

"Whatever you say." And with those words he left Louis alone in the room.