The Ball

Something had changed about the way Louis looked at Harry after his realization. Or maybe he had looked at him that way all the time, now just being aware of it.

It was the way he noticed his eyes would linger at his abs when he walked around the room shirtless, or the way he would be completely lost in his smile when he talked, or the way jealousy would fill him as soon as he as much touched another person. Even if it was just Niall, Zayn or Liam.

His mind would also, as so often before, wander to the memory of Harry splayed out on his bed, a hand resting around his cock. Those thoughts often followed by a cold shower. It didn't help he also saw Harry's naked body in the locker rooms after PE.

He had since the one time where he decided fuck it not showered while the rest of boys were in the locker room. It had been awful doing it just that once, so he had returned to showering either before everyone else or after everyone had left. Harry had once asked him about it after their friendship had formed.

"Why don't you shower with the rest of us, Lou?"

They had been in their room, Louis just having returned from his late shower in the locker rooms.

"Um," Louis had said, looking for the words. "Because I don't want to?"

Louis had never been great at lying and it was clear that Harry had seen right through him, but instead of prodding Louis further, he had just hummed in response.

And Louis was happy about that. It gave him a lot of time to just look at Harry. Which... even sounded creepy in his own head. It didn't matter. No one would ever know.

He realized that Eleanor had been completely right when she called Louis an idiot for not noticing sooner, because the feelings had been there for long. Since the night of Halloween. Since the morning he woke up, still holding Harry clutched to his chest. It was there it had begun and it had only grown stronger since.

And Louis knew that the chances of them happening was small. Minimal. Harry was a prince. But, as Louis kept reminding himself, he wasn't the next in line to the thrown. It could happen. They could happen.

If Harry liked him back.

He hoped to find out soon.

***

The day of the ball was a Wednesday. They had had the semester's last classes the day before and other than the upcoming ball that night, there were no plans made other than spend as much time with your friends before they would be parted for Christmas.

Louis looked forward to spend some quality time with Liam, Zayn and Niall, though not really looking forward to saying goodbye to them. Lucky for him, he and Harry wouldn't be separated. The Queen, Harry's mother-Louis didn't know what to call her-had been dismissive toward the idea of Harry spending Christmas and New Year at Louis', but Harry had managed to convince her.

They had already packed most of their stuff, both excited to get home. When Louis had left home he had thought he wouldn't miss it at all, but some part of him also looked forward to it. He didn't look forward to laying in his own bed, looking at his own unpersonal walls, but he did look forward to see his family. Charles. Betty. And he looked forward to introducing them to Harry. He looked forward to introducing Harry to his family. To his real dad. His real mom. Not the ones who gave him birth, but the ones who raised him.

He wanted Harry to have a part in that family.

It was a thought that scared him, but it had been an occurring one since he discovered his feelings for Harry.

It was also the thought that was grazing his mind when Harry threw a pillow at him from across the room. It missed by a long shot, but it did manage to bring Louis out of his stream of thoughts.