14- Alyssa

I woke up in the morning with chills and feeling sick. I was still cuddled up to Charles and we're both on the couch. I kept shivering which I think woke Charles up because he started to stir and wipe the sleep out of his eyes. He looked at me worried since he felt me shivering. I tried to stop myself from shivering so I didn't worry him more, but it was no use. He looked at me with concern and asked "mon amour are you okay? Why are you shivering? It's not cold and you were okay last night?" I wish I could've answered him but I didn't even understand why myself. While we were still cuddling on the couch I heard Wes call out for me from the guest room. I got up to get to him, but I was super dizzy and I didn't even realize I was swaying until Charles scooped me up into his arms, sat me back on the couch and went to get Wes from the room. When he went to get Wes I started to feel worse. My sweating was getting back and as soon as Charles came back he could tell it was getting worse. I looked at him scared not only because I didn't know what was going on, but also because I didn't want Wes seeing me like this. Charles put Wes on the couch next to me. I tried to get up to start breakfast but when I did I fell and Charles caught me. I heard him say "that's it I'm taking you to the hospital."

*at hospital*

I woke up in a hospital bed attached to machines. I don't remember being taken to the hospital. I looked over to my side and saw Charles with his head down and holding my hand with Wes on his lap. I decided to rub my thumb against Charles' hand and he popped his head up to look at me in shock. I noticed tears falling down his cheeks and I reached over to wipe them off. Charles put Wes on the bed and Wes gave me a bear hug "mommy you scared me. I'm so happy you're okay" (pretend all of Wes' dialogue is said how a three year old would say it). I didn't know what to say so I just gave Wes another hug and Charles decided to join us.

As we were hugging the doctor came in "I'm sorry for interrupting this moment but we did some tests as you were asleep and we got the results back. Your test results and what your boyfriend has described to us is Lupus. Along with running tests for Lupus we also found that you also have type 1 diabetes. Lupus can cause flare ups. You may experience body pain, muscle pain, fever, red rashes, ulcers, fatigue and unfortunately in your case will also affect your breathing. For your lupus we will want to prescribe you steroids to help, an inhaler for your breathing and we will monitor you. I also think this is important to note for you as I am unsure if you and your boyfriend hope to become pregnant one day, but Lupus may cause complications in pregnancy. As for your type one diabetes you will want to keep track of your sugars. There are many options. We will give you a prescription for insulin and we will send you home with long acting insulin. You can get a pump, an omnipod or dexcom. The omnipod can be hooked up to your phone and transmit insulin to you when needed. The dexcom can also be hooked up to your phone however for the dexcom you will also need a pump. I know this is a lot of information for both you and your boyfriend, but if you have any questions please let me know." I nodded. I couldn't think of anything but I heard Charles ask some questions. "How will this affect her traveling for work? What are some ways we can maintain her sugars?" The doctor looked at us and said "if your sugars are high you will need insulin, but if your sugars are low you will need to drink juice, eat candy, or eat fruit. If you're in a pinch there are glucose tabs that might be helpful to keep with you." Charles also nodded and the doctor looked between both of us before leaving and giving us privacy.

I didn't know how to react. I just hugged Charles. Wes was looking between both Charles and I confused. He doesn't understand what's happening right now. I sit up and explain to Wes what's happening. It took a little bit for him to start to understand it but we're slowly getting there. I realized that we didn't tell Arthur what happened. I picked up my phone, made a groupchat with Charles and texted in there.

The Golden Trio

Alyssa added Arthur and Charles to the group

Alyssa: Hey Arthur I know it's weird to have this group chat but I figured now's the time to make one

Arthur: Hey lyss what's up

Alyssa: so i have something to tell you

Arthur: okay you're scaring me. does Charles know?

Charles: yes i do know what she's going to tell you

Arthur: omg are you guys pregnant

Alyssa: what arthur no

Charles: yeah no, not that I would mind but it's too early in our relationship for that

Arthur: okay so what's up

Alyssa: well i'm in the hospital right now

Arthur: what, what happened

Charles: well she wasn't feeling well this morning. she was shivering, pale and had sweats. when she tried to stand up she ended up collapsing in my arms. I took her to the hospital and they ran tests based on what I described to them. the results showed that she has lupus and type 1 diabetes

Arthur: okay but she's okay right

Alyssa: yeah i am we just have to monitor it

Charles: she'll be okay I listened carefully to the doctor so I will be able to help monitor this

Arthur: okay I'm glad. is Wes with you?

Alyssa: yeah he is

Arthur: do you want me to come and get him

Alyssa: normally I would say yes, but I don't think he's going to leave my side anytime soon so I think it's best if he stays here

Arthur: okay let me know if you need me