24- Charles

It was finally time for Lyss to be discharged from the hospital after a long couple of days. Although we are learning how to handle this and there shouldn't be as many scares, I want to make sure I have the best doctors for her available at all times. I signed the forms to release her and carried Wes in my arms as well. I made sure that everything at home was set for when she would be coming back to make her as comfortable as possible.

In our bathroom I laid out bubble bath soap, face masks, hair masks, a robe and have prepared a toil warmer for Lyss for when she is relaxing in the shower. We got home when it was late and the sky was dark so I helped Wes wash up and get ready for bed. As he was getting ready for bed I had Lyss start her relaxing night. Once she was set I brought Wes to his room, tucked him in and read him a book as he fell asleep. As I was reading his book he kept fighting his sleep. I was curious why he was doing this.

"Hey bud, why are you fighting your sleep. It's okay to fall asleep especially if you're tired."

Wes rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and nodded his head at me quickly. He slowly started to close his eyes and cuddle into me. Once he was asleep he rolled over onto his other side so I was able to quietly go back to my room. Before I did I kissed his head, turned on his nightlight and closed his door but still kept it open slightly.

Once I walked back into the room Lyss had already changed into her pajamas, was laying in bed and watching tv. Before joining my girl in bed I walked into the closet to change into my own comfy clothes. When I joined Lyss in bed I noticed that she was in my t-shirt instead of her normal pajamas. This made me smile from ear to ear. Lyss saw the smile on my face and looked at me inquisitively.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Nothing mon amour, you look so good in my t-shirt. Don't get me wrong, you look good in your pajamas too, but I like you better in my clothes." As soon as I said that her cheeks were as red as a tomato. I chuckled softly as her cheeks kept turning a brighter red. Lyss pushed my shoulder, covered her face with her hands and softly told me to stop.

I decided to stop teasing her and turn on our favorite movie to watch together. Before Lyss fully relaxes she decides to get up and put on her dexcom and omnipod. She sits up and cleans her sites. She grabs the dexcom, but before she can do it I hold her hand. Once I have her hand she injects the dexcom and then the omnipod, but the omnipod takes a little longer since it has to prime. Once both are injected she is finally able to relax. We put the omnipod tracker or as I call it Lyss' personal diabetic monitor (PDM) on the nightstand by our bed.

As we were watching Harry Potter I remember I put a cart with different drawers and a mini fridge in our room for all of her diabetic necessities. In the fridge are her insulin vials and two juice boxes so they could be cold in case she wants cold juice. In the cart the new and wrapped needles are in the top drawer with the new omnipods and dexcoms, the second drawer has candy and gummies, and the third drawer has juice and the fourth drawer has crackers and then the last drawer has her finger pricker and blood strips to manually test her blood sugar.

Now that everything is set up and we know how to manage her diabetes and have an organized way to help both her highs and lows. We are both finally able to relax. Lyss slowly starts drifting off to sleep. Just like Wes she was trying to fight it but as I started to rub her back up and down and draw random shapes on her back she let the sleep takeover. Once she was asleep I looked at her thankful it wasn't worse than it turned out to be and watched her sleep for a couple of minutes. After just relaxing and watching my girl for a little bit I finally let the sleep take over me too.