15- Charles

I'm glad I brought Alyssa to the hospital. She was shocked when the doctor told her the diagnosis. Lyss was frozen but immediately snapped out of it to check on Wes and explain to him what the doctor told us. I think that was the hardest part for her. Wes was so worried about her. He has been tired since he missed his nap, but he's been fighting it to make sure Lyss was okay. He's such a strong little man. Once we got Wes to sleep Lyss became quiet again, but quietly said "I know we just found out but I think we should tell our friends what's been going on." I looked at her and nodded. I agree and I wanted to, but I didn't want to push her or force her to do anything she's not ready for.

Lyss and I were cuddling in bed. I could see the wheels turning in her head. I could tell she was worried to see my true reaction to this. I also think she's worried that at one point in the future I may decide I can't handle her diagnoses, taking care of Wes and racing. I know that managing all of these things with racing in Formula One will be a challenge, but she's worth it. While cuddling Lyss I noticed she fell asleep. After checking on Lyss and before going back onto my phone I turned my head to the right and checked on Wes to see if he was still asleep in his bed. Once I was sure they were both okay I picked up my phone and created a big group chat with the drivers I'm friends with and the drivers and WAGS that Lyss is friends with.

Charles added Alyssa, Max, Kelly, Lando, Luisinah, Arthur, Carla, Daniel, Lewis, Mick, Isa, Carmen, Carlos, Pierre, George, Lily, Alex, and Logan

The Paddock People

Charles: Hey guys I made this chat since you're friends with me, Lyss, or both because I have to tell you something. Lyss has agreed to me saying this.

Arthur: Is this about the thing Charles?

Charles: Yes it is Arth

Kelly: Charles and Arthur what is it you're scaring me

Luisa: I agree you guys aren't normally like this so what's going on

Charles: Okay guys this isn't easy for me to say but Lyss has Lupus and Type 1 diabetes

Max: Whoa that's a lot to take in

Daniel: I think we all know what type 1 diabetes is, but what's Lupus

Charles: Okay so Lupus is an inflammatory disease and is caused when the immune system attacks its own tissues. It can affect the joints, skin, kidneys, blood cells, brain, heart, and lungs. She may get fatigued, have joint pain, rashes, and fevers. These can periodically get worse (flare-up) and then improve. The doctor ran tests. It hasn't harmed her major organs, but with diabetes and lupus it can affect her breathing so we were given two inhalers. One inhaler she always will have and the other one I will keep track of. We also found out that it will be harder for her to get pregnant and maintain a pregnancy.

Carla: My poor sister. What can we do to help Charles. Also, what can we do to help with her diabetes.

Charles: For her Lupus we just have to watch for the symptoms and make sure her flare ups are controlled. We can do this by maintaining her stress, not having her overwork and making sure she gets rest. If I can't be with her I will need one of you guys to be with her and bring the inhaler too just to make sure she's okay. For her diabetes she's looking at different options to help monitor it, but right now she's leaning on getting the dexcom G6 which will pump her insulin and check her blood sugar and also the omnipod. She will also have a finger prick kit to check her blood sugar manually. This kit will have a long lasting insulin that she can use. She will probably only use this if her omnipod and dexcom aren't working properly. You guys can help her maintain her sugar especially with the long days and weekends.

Pierre: Of course Charles we got you

Mick: Wow she's so strong we'll make sure to keep an eye out for her. FYI Logan is with me and agrees with my message.

After telling our friends and receiving their responses I took a picture of us holding hands to post on instagram. I looked at Lyss, cuddled her and kissed the top of her head. I turned on the tv and decided on watching Criminal Minds. After I had everything set up I decided to post the picture that I just took and limit the comments to only our friends.

❤️ arthurleclerc, pierregasly, mickschumacher, maxverstappen, kellypiquet and 837,000 others

📍Monte Carlo, Monaco

tagged: alyssabrennan

charlesleclerc: She's doing okay. Can't imagine what this girl is going through. In advance Lyss wanted me to say thank you to everyone who sends their well wishes

💬 arthurleclerc: I love you guys. I'll visit soon and take Wes for the day too

kellypiquet: We're all behind you guys

luisinhaoliveira: I'm here if any of you need anything. Let me know if you need me to watch Wes

💬 carmenmundt: George and I are here for you guys. Sending lots of love

dennishauger: omg poor Lyss

lewishamilton: we're family Charles and Lyss no matter what reach out

carlossainz: mate let Isa and I know if there's anything you need. If it's okay with you guys we were wondering if we can visit. Also Lyss stay strong you've got this

scuderiaferrari: Forza Lyssa. You're apart of the Ferrari family and that means you have all of our support. Charles and Lyss please let us know what support you need

pierregasly: mate I can't imagine what you guys are going through. Lyss we haven't spent a lot of time together yet but you're dating Charles and in the paddock which makes you family

comments limited on this post