022. The Crowning of a False King

Erryk Cargyll was slammed into the side of the wall, Aemond holding him by his throat as the knight watched him carefully. Aemond stared at the man with thinly veiled anger, his head tilted, hiding most of his face from Aemma's view. Both men had their swords safely sheathed away. 

"You will escort Princess Aemma back to Dragonstone," Aemond commanded, his grasp on Ser Erryk's throat not loosening, "You will only escort Princess Aemma, and you ensure her safety the entire way,"

Aemma watched from her position, frowning at the force with which Aemond was ensuring her safe passage. There had been whispers in the corridors that Ser Erryk was more loyal to Rhaenyra than the Greens and was upset by the usurping. It made him the perfect candidate to entrust with her escape. 

"If any harm comes to Princess Aemma while under your care," Aemond's voice hardened, "I will personally ensure great harm comes to your family,"

"You do not need to threaten me, Prince Aemond," Ser Erryk said as Aemond dropped his grip, "I would be honoured to ensure Princess Aemma's safe return,"

The two men turned their attention to Aemma, who was pacing back and forth, deep in thought. While she looked the part of a princess, her fine silks and rings adorning her body as though it was just another day in the Red Keep. But for anyone who looked closer into her eyes, it was clear she held sorrow there.

It was a dark day for the Targaryen lineage indeed. 

"We'll be alright, Aemond," Aemma said, finally halting her continuous movements, "Ser Erryk is a good man. I have no doubt he'll see me to safety,"

The two newlyweds rushed towards one another, their foreheads touching as they took in their last moments together for what would feel like an eternity. They would get no marital bliss or time to enjoy their new status. They would have to make do with the little time they had. 

Aemond's thumb caressed Aemma's cheek as they stared at one another, trying to hold onto one another for just a second longer.

"You're hurting me," Aemond whispered, his hand moving down to her chin, "You cut me deep by leaving,"

"I know," Aemma's voice was barely a whisper, her words just for Aemond to hear, "But I must, for us,"

Aemond's grip on her was firm as his lips crashed into hers, pressing her ever closer to him. Aemma held onto him, keeping herself stable as she returned the heated goodbye kiss. If they could, their bodies would have gotten closer to each other. Closer still, their bodies melting together.

It was gone too quickly. Their love. It was hard to tell who let go first, Aemond or Aemma, but the two stood apart slightly, their hands laced together. Aemma didn't let herself move, her eyes closing as she tried to soak in the last friendly meeting she would get with Aemond for a while.