The Upside Down

Introducing:

*****

"I have to tell you something, it's a bit of good news and a bit of bad news." Joseph told her as they sat down for breakfast on a Saturday morning. It was a week before graduation and things had been going very well through that whole time period. The sex had definitely never been better but he was still trying to coax fantasies out of her that she didn't yet want to admit. She picked up her fork and got a bite of food on it.

    "And what is that?" She asked.

    "I won't be able to make it to graduation for you but it's because I have a role in a movie. I'll need to get to California before then." He said. She dropped her fork when she heard that because she was amazed. Not only amazed but very excited and happy for him. It was just high school graduation and though she may have somehow managed to still get valedictorian (even though she partly believed it was because they pitied her since she was attacked) it wasn't huge for her. Not enough that she'd complain about him being in a movie.

    "Really? Oh my God that is great!" She said, "Not the graduation part but...I'm so happy for you. This isn't even slightly bad news. I thought it may take longer for you to find work, no offense."

    "None taken," He chuckled, "I have been out of the game for awhile and aged so it was a gamble but it paid off."

    "Then go for it. I'll be in California soon enough as it is. Only my mum is coming to graduation. I don't have a huge family." She shrugged, "It's high school anyway, I might be mad if you miss when I become a doctor though."

    "I would never miss that. I promise." He grinned, "Are you sure you're okay with this?"

    "Positive, really. I actually can't wait to hear more about it."

    "I can't say much due to contract reasons but I can tell you that I got the lead role and it's a horror movie." He said, "Probably easiest to get into for starters, I suppose I can be a decent villain."

    "Villain?"

    "That's the part." He said, "Ever hear of The Most Dangerous Game? Knowing you, you've already read it." She laughed and nodded.

    "Actually I have yes," She said, "You're the hunter then?"

    "I am," He said, "I wanted the protagonist but...I'll take what I can get."

    "Should be very interesting to watch." She said, "I'll be the first in line for tickets."

    "Or you know...at the premiere." He said then cleared his throat. She stared at him wondering if he was joking. He'd really take her to a premiere, for a movie, with him, in Hollywood? It wasn't like she wanted to say no but she was very unsure of that. The whole idea made her nervous. Then again, it wasn't like people wouldn't find out they were dating if he went back into acting and she'd already agreed to stick by him and support him. She guessed that she was just flattered he'd even consider that.