Chapter Six

————

Maybe, just maybe, they still have a hold over you and just know where to get you at your weak points.

————

You did something you hardly ever do, you called in sick the next day. You didn't sleep, all you did was sit on your couch, lost in thought while the television sounded in the background.

*rattle*

Kookie in his cage made you turn your head, finally breaking out of your thoughts. He whimpered, calling for you to let him out. You stood up and went to open the gate for him, putting him beside you on the couch. He pressed himself against your thigh.

"I'm okay, Kookie." You whispered, reaching out to stroke his head and ears. He thumped his back leg against the couch cushion.

*KNOCK KNOCK*

"Coming..." You groaned, trudging to the couch.

"J-Jisung? What are you doing here?" You shook your head, rubbing your eyes in case you were dreaming. But there stood your baby, in his yellow rain jacket and matching boots.

"Hi gomo!" He grinned.

"W-What are y-you doing here? I didn't hear anything from your parents about you coming over." You were still recovering from the shock. Jisung just smiled up at you. You invited him in and he removed his wet coat and boots.

"You must be cold. Let me get you something." You frowned, going to the room to get him a blanket. But you felt something beside you. Jisung hugged you tightly, burying his face into your hip. You took a fluffy blanket out and bent down to wrap it around his shoulders. Jisung didn't mind it much, all he did was reach forward to hug you tightly.

"I hate it when you're sad, gomo." He mumbled.

"Oh, Jisung." You sat back down and pulled him into your lap. Instead of hugging him to your chest, Jisung stroked your cheek, letting you rest against his smaller chest.

"I'm sorry I worried you." You whispered.

"Don't be sorry. I'm sorry I cannot protect you more." He shook his head in denial. You pulled away, looking at him with teary eyes.

"Aegi, you already do so much for me, just by being here and being you. It's my job to protect you." You stroked your head. Jisung frowned and reached out to wipe your tears with his hands gently.

"I want you to count on me too." Jisung said.

"Thank you, aegi. Thank you." You hugged him tightly. Even if you didn't get why Jisung was here, you were glad that he was. Jisung just comforted you and hugged you for as long as you needed him. He gave you a sense of normalcy in your chaotic life.

"I'm just upset over some work stuff but I will be okay." You hummed, wiping your tears and forcing the best smile that you could muster.

"I know why you're upset, gomo. And I know it has nothing to do with work." Jisung said, blinking with no expression on his face. You sighed, reaching out to cup his cheek.

"You do?"

"I saw someone at the grocery store the other day. He was the one that helped me get the ice cream down." Jisung confessed.

"What? Was that why you were acting different and wanted to go home?" You were shocked.

"Yeah. I couldn't reach the ice cream and he just reached out to get it off the top shelf for me. Then I took it and left to find you, I wanted to find you before he did. I know they hurt you and made you cry. I didn't want you to see him and get upset again... So I tried to make sure we avoided bumping into him." Jisung explained and you just melted.