Chapter Fourteen

————

Things are getting suspicious.

————

As you pulled up to your parents' house, you sat in your car, taking a deep breath. You needed to mentally prepare yourself for meals with your parents. After what happened with your dad the other time, you weren't going to let yourself slip up again.

"You can do it." You stared at your reflection with determination. Grabbing your things, you ran your fingers through your hair and stepped out.

"Omma, appa." You greeted as you stepped through the gate.

"Good evening." They greeted you back. You slipped off your shoes, placing them to the side neatly before walking deeper into the house. When your brother's family moved out, it became a lot quieter here.

"Appa, here are the compiled seminar notes." You handed him the small stack. He sat up and flipped through them.

"Good." He nodded in approval.

"Thank you." You bowed your head with a small smile. Putting your bag down, you headed into the kitchen to assist your mother in dinner preparations. She was almost done so there wasn't much for you to help with. You helped set the table and lay the plates out. It was a steak dinner so you brought the completed side dishes out while your mother finished the steaks.

"This is your father's." She handed you the plate and you brought it out. Your father walked over and sat down at the head of the table. Once the other steaks were done, you sat down.

"Thank you for the food." You said before picking up your fork and knife. Your father opened a bottle of wine to drink with your mother.

"No, thanks. I'm driving." You shook your head when he offered you a glass.

"(y/n), I'm sure you're aware of this whole new election coming up for the new president since our current president is retiring." Your father said. You nodded your head slowly.

"I do but you know I've never been into politics."

"Well, your mother and I have been invited to a dinner party with Senator Park, the most potential candidate running in the election." Your father informed.

"Why?"

"We're friends. He's a big donor to both our hospitals. But anyway, what your father is trying to say is that the whole family is invited. Your brother can't go because of a case and his children are too young to represent him. So it's just you going." Your mother said.

"Are you sure it has nothing to do with the fact that the both of you are on the board of directors for two of the top hospitals in South Korea? He's trying to win favours and sway the vote." You raised an eyebrow.

"Whether he is or not, we've been invited and we're going as a family." Your father sighed.

"What if I have plans?" You asked.

"You can reschedule. I know you're not working because I checked your schedule and you weren't rostered in." Your mother replied. You let out a sigh, you can't win.

"Fine. Just let me know when and if I have to get a dress for the event." You told them, putting another piece of steak into your mouth.

"Two weeks from now, Saturday. I'll get your dress but if you'd like, you can get it. Maybe choose the colour and design that you prefer." Your mother said and you nodded your head. It would be nice to be able to choose your own dress for this events. Most of the time, your mother chooses your dresses. She knew what looked good on you, even if you didn't agree.