Chapter Eleven

————

There just can't be a moment of peace in your life. Time and time again, you realise that everything is just a lie.

————

Surprisingly, your time at your father's psychiatric hospital was quite productive. You learnt a lot from professors that came in from all over the world and attended a lot of seminars.

"Has this been useful to you?" Your father asked as he lifted his wine glass for a sip. You nodded your head.

"Thank you for letting me come here to learn."

"As long as you have determination to learn, I'll let you do anything you want. There's nothing to thank me for. I'm just glad that you were able to pick up on some pointers from the professors." He said. You nodded your head, drinking your wine as the waiter placed the food down.

"Would you have wanted me to do psychiatry like you? Instead of following mum into cardio and surgery?" You asked him.

"What I think doesn't matter, (y/n). My job is to give these opportunities to you, it's ultimately your decision whether you want to take it or not. You're a successful doctor and surgeon, that's all that matters." He shrugged.

"I see." You put a piece of steak into your mouth.

"Does my answer come as a shock to you?" He asked with a raised eyebrow. You shook your head, forcing a small smile.

"I liked being in a new environment this week. I can't wait for next week's stuff. I saw there's a seminar on a new multiple drug therapy for schizophrenia." You changed the subject back.

"Yes, a professor from New York is giving it. Honestly, (y/n), I am proud of you for faring well. The professors have nothing but praise for you, despite you not being a psychiatrist or even majoring in psychiatry. They are impressed and blown away by your ability to pick up things quickly and link concepts." Your father nodded in approval.

"Really? You're proud of me?" You blinked, not even able to hide your surprise at this point.

"I am. Do you not believe me when I say so?"

"You've always said how proud you are of oppa my whole life. I've never heard you tell me you're proud of me." You shrugged, pushing your food around your plate.

"(y/n), you and your brother have always been very different growing up. You're both smart. But your brother did things on his own accord while you needed to be pushed to do them." Your father sighed.

"Because you were always glorifying him. Everything to me felt like a competition that I would never win so I stopped trying." You said.

"Competition between growing children is always healthy." He refuted. You pursed your lips.

"Oppa will just always be your star child, wouldn't he?"

"Are you referring to favouritism? Don't be childish. Your mother and I do not favour one of you over the other. You're different people, on different paths in life. You have different strengths which set you apart." Your father shook his head as he ate his food.

"It's not childish if it's true. Just that you and omma don't want to admit it." You scoffed.

"I'm not going to discuss this any further. I've shared my point, it's up to you whether you want to accept it like an adult or not." Your father said calmly. You looked away in frustration.

After that, the rest of the dinner was finished in silence. Even if the evening started out as a nice father-daughter dinner, it ended that way.

"I'll see you at the hospital." Your father said.