Chapter 1: I've Made up my Mind

Chloe's POV

Today was quite a rush, from when Marcus breaking up with me last night was heartbreaking for me. Then he tries to win back with lemon bars and roses, I missed having dinner with him because of the case with the death of the prima ballerina. What made things worse, was that Lucifer constantly encouraged about how bad Marcus was and our break-up. He even bought me a car just to even the game saying, "Anything Pierce can do, I can do better." Making me feel like I was some bloody trophy waiting to win by either of the two men I truly care about. But the worse was yet to come, when Lucifer made a special dinner scene for me but instead it was just to shove up pierce. I have never felt my heart so broken in my life by Lucifer since he got married to Candy after we kissed on the beach and I nearly died.

I just wanted to be alone tonight, where the only company I could possibly get was peace and quiet. Of course, I didn't mind Trixie at least she could keep me distracted, but thankfully she was asleep for school tomorrow. I was just about to pour myself a glass of wine when a knock on the door caught my attention. Unsure who it could possibly be at this time of night, but I walked over to the door calmly and opened it. It was Marcus, I froze for a second, and my wide widen in surprise.

"I'm sorry for just stopping by" Marcus started before I had the chance to ask why he was here, "But when you didn't made it to dinner...

"No, I... I sorry. This case has been..." I interrupted him, saving him from explaining himself. But, truthfully I couldn't find the words to speak.

"It's okay" Marcus perfectly ended, yet he continued, "I can say what I needed to say here. Now."

I watched Marcus walk past me through the doorway inside my apartment, then I slowly close the door behind me.

"For days, I've been thinking about how I screwed up. Trying to figure out how to make things better" Marcus stated before he turned around to face me as our eyes focus on each other. "When you find that person who gives life meaning..."

He paused for a short breathe, "Chloe, nothing else matters."

I nodded in agreement, and then he quickly added, "Chloe I know you don't trust me. I know I made mistakes. I've made an entirety of my mistakes. But please let me spend the rest of my days making it up to you."

His right hand reached down to his jean pocket, I narrowed my eyes in wonder, "What? What are you doing?"

Falling down to one knee, Marcus looked up while holding a ring up in front of me in his fingers, he asked, "Chloe Decker. Will you marry me?"

My whole body froze still like a statue at his words, including the air in my lungs stopping me from breathing. For once in a while, I have finally met someone who I personally love in a serious relationship, even after the break-up and all the gifts from today. I really appreciated all the nice things he did for me, and it gave me hope about fixing this relationship. Growing a small smile on my face as I finally began breathing again yet my heart wasn't beating faster with bliss. My mind was advising me to give him another chance, however deep down I went to something else.

In the end, my mouth moved and answered, "No."

Marcus' small, hopeful smile quickly faded away as he raised up from the ground confusion was painted all over his face. I took a deep breathe in and out, and honestly, it was quite hard to bring the truth out of my mouth.

I finally got the air to explain before Marcus could ask, "Marcus... I'm sorry... It's not you. It's me. It's just that... it feels quite a rush, a huge rush you know."

"I know, but I can make it work. We can make it work" Marcus grabbed my hands and tighten them together softly with his big hands.

My hands gently grabbed the side of his muscular arms, "I know. I know. I believe there's a way for it to work too. But, since the break-up, then the case. I just think we need some time to develop it."