5 - london to vienna

chapter song - if the world was ending (jp saxe + julia michaels)

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD. But I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But, it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related. I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage at a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise when you can. Where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move. It is your duty, to plant yourself like a tree, look them in they eye and say, " No... ... you move." Sharon Carter, Peggy's niece stands to speak for Peggy at her funeral.

~

"When I came out of the ice, thought I wanted to ignore she was gone. When I found out that she was alive, I was just lucky to have her." Steve says to me and Nat.

"She'd had you back too." Nat says.

"Who else signed it?" Steve asks.

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision." I say.

"Clint?" Steve asks.

"Says he's retired." Nat said.

"Wanda and Pietro?"

"TBD. We're off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There is plenty of room on the jet. Just because it's the path of least resistance does mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together." Nat says.

"What are we giving up to do it? Sorry, Nat. I can't sign it." Steve says.

"I know."

"Well, then. What are you doing here?"

"We didn't want you to be alone. Come here." We both pull Steve into a long hug before we have to let go to catch the jet.

~

"At a specially United Nations congress, 117 countries have come together to ratify Sokokia Accords."

"Excuse me, Miss Romanoff? Miss Belova?" Someone asks.

"Yes." We say.

"I just need your signatures."

"Thank you."

We walk up to the Prince of Wakanda. Prince T'Challa.

"I suppose none of us are used to the spot light." He says.

"Well. It's not always so flattering." Nat says.

"You seem to be doing alright so far. Considering your last trip to Capitol Hill. I wouldn't think you would be particularly comfortable in this company." T'challa replies.

"Well, I'm not." Nat says, then walks away to sign more documents.

"I don't believe we've met." T'Challa sticks his hand out for me to shake.

"I doubt it. I lived in Russia in Sokovia since I was born until about a year ago. I do apologize about what happened in Lagos a few months ago. I'm still handling some grief from everything that happened in Sokovia last year-"

"It's fine. Don't worry. Easy fix."

"So you don't approve of all this?"

"The Accords, yes. The politics, not really. Two people, in a room, can get more done than a 100."

"Unless you need to move a piano." King T'Chaka of Wakanda walks over to us.

"Papa."

"Yeah.. Miss. Belova."

"King T'Chaka. Please, allow me to apologize for what happened in Nigeria." I say.

"Thank you. Thank you for agreeing to all this. I'm sad to hear that Captain Rogers will not be joining us today."

"Yes, so am I."

"Everyone, please be seated. This assembly is now in session." Someone says over the PA system.

"That is the future calling. Such a pleasure. Thank you." Prince T'Challa says. I walk away towards nat and sit down next to her.

People start coming by us and we start signing, soon I hear people outside yelling. I tap Nat on the shoulder at the perfect time.

"EVERYBODY GET DOWN!" T'Challa yells.

~Meanwhile in London~

"Steve. There's something you got to see." Sam says.

Sharon leads them to an office with a TV with the news on it.

"A bomb hidden in a news van blast through the UN building in Vienna."

"Who's coordinating?" Sharon says into her phone.

"More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead. Including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect, identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter soldier. The infamous HYDRA agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations." The news anchor continues.

"I have to go to work." Sharon says.

~Back in Vienna~

"I'm very sorry." Natasha says. She's sitting at the far end of the bench while my head is laid down on her lap and she's talking with T'Challa. I hear my phone ring and I stand up and walk around the park we're sitting at. Surprisingly it's Pietro,

"Yeah?" I ask.

"Thought you would be more excited to hear from me than that." Pietro says back to me. "Are you alright?"

"yeah, thanks."

"By the way. Where's Natasha? Steve wants to talk to her."

"She's right here."

"Hey Steve. Everything alright?" Nat asks.

"Just making sure you and Y/n are safe."

"Ah, yeah, thanks. I got lucky. I know how much Barnes mean to you. I really do. Stay at home. You'll only make this worse for all of us. Please." She says.

"Are you saying you'll arrest me?" Steve asks.

"No. Someone will, if you interfere. That's how it works now."

"If he's this far gone, then... I should be the one to bring him in."

"Why?"

"Because I'm the one least likely to die trying."

"Shit." And the call ends.