9 - tony's ego

chapter song - wrong direction (hailee steinfeld)

We're back at the compound. I had my baby girl just a few hours ago, Maria, and I already have to leave. Wanda, Pietro, Clint, Sam and some guy named Scott are all locked in the RAFT prison. Steve's planning on getting them out, since I can't go get them.

"Steve's not going to stop. If you don't either, then Rhodey is going to be the best case scenario." Nat says.

"You let them go." Tony says.

"We played this wrong." I say.

"We? Boy. It must be hard to shake the whole double agent thing, huh? Sticks in the DNA."

"Are you incapable of letting go of your ego for 1 god damn second?" Nat said.

"T'Challa told Ross what you both did, so, they're coming for you."

"I'm not the one who needs to watch their back."

~

A few days later me and Nat are hiding out from Ross when we see him enter the building.

"Natasha Romanoff and Y/n Belova are in violation of the Sokovia Accords. Romanoff assaulted the king of Wakanda. Belova let Barnes and Wilson out of custody. Make an example out of them." Ross says as he walks in.

Nat decided to call Ross.

"Yeah?" He answers.

"Don't do this." Nat says.

"Do what?" He asks.

"Come after us." I say.

"I mean, you're embarrassing yourself. It looks desperate." Nat says.

"Thought maybe you'd be calling me to cut a deal. 'Cause from my vantage point, it's the federal fugitives who're desperate." He replies.

"From my vantage point, you look like you could use some bed rest. What is this, your second triple bypass?"

"I wouldn't worry about me. We got Barton, we got Wilson and that other guy, the incredible shrinking convict. Rogers is on the run. You two got no friends. Where you gonna go?" He asks.

"I've lived a lot of lives before I met you, Ross. You shouldn't have gone to all this trouble. I'm done." Nat says. She hangs up the phone. We drop our belts from SHIELD with trackers in them and leave the building getting a boat ride to Norway.