12 - fake lives

chapter song - black betty (ram jam)

We got out of the air ducts safely and found a drug store so we can clean up Lena's arm.

"The Red Room's still active. Where is it?" I ask.

"I have no idea. He moves location constantly. And every widow is sedated on entry and exit for maximum security." Lena says.

"I'm just finding it hard to believe that he could stay off my radar." Nat says.

"Well, it's not smart to attack an Avenger if you want to stay hidden. I mean, the clue is in the name. Dreykov kills you, one of the big ones comes to avenge you." Lena says, sarcastically.

"Wait, what are the big ones?" I ask.

"Well, I doubt the god from space, the patriotic solider, or the speedster, have to take an ibuprofen after a fight." Natasha walks out to find a table so we can clean up.

After Nat's gone, Yelena asks. "Where did you think I was all this time?"

"I thought that you got out and were living a normal life."

"And you just never made contact again?"

"Honestly, I thought you didn't wanna see me." Natasha walks back in to get us.

"Bullshit. You just didn't want baby sister to tag along, whilst you saved the world with the cool kids."

"You weren't really my sister." Nat says.

"And the Avengers aren't really your family." Lena says. "Why do you always do that thing?"

"Do what?" Nat asks.

"The thing you do when you're fighting. The... Like, the... This thing that you do when you whip your hair when you're fighting with the arm and the hair. And you do, like, a fighting pose. It's a fighting pose. You're a total poser."

"I'm not a poser." Nat says.

"Yes, she is." I say.

"Oh, come on. I mean, they're great poses, but it does look like you think everyone's looking at you, like, all the time." Yelena says.

"All that time that I spent posing, I was trying to actually do something good to make up for all the pain and suffering that we caused. Trying to be more than just a trained killer." Nat says.

"Well, then you were fooling yourself because pain and suffering is every day and we are both still a trained killer. Except I'm not the one that's on the cover of a magazine. I'm not the killer that little girls call their hero."

We end our conversation and go out to the table. I start to clean Yelena's arm, as she winces, then I wrap it up.

"That gas, the counteragent, it was synthesized in secret by an older widow from Melina's generation. I was on the mission to retrieve it, and she exposed me and I killed the widow that freed me." Yelena says. "How were you able to get out, Y/N?"

"I was never controlled by him." Both of the girls look at me. "Since I was rotated between the two, Strucker and Dreykov had agreed that I wouldn't be controlled by Dreykov but I would still be trained."

"Hmm. He takes more every day. Children who don't have anyone to protect them. Just like us when we were small. Maybe one in 20 survives the training, becomes a widow. The rest, he kills. To him, we are just things. Weapons with no face that he can just throw away. Because there is always more. And no one's even looking for him, thanks to you and Alexei."

"Alexei?" Nat asks.

"I'm confused, who's Alexei?" I ask.

"'Dad' he was assigned to me and Nat when we were living in Ohio." Yelena says. "Did you ever look for our parents? Our real ones?"