Let The Games Begin

The hospital room was silent aside from the steady beeping of the machine, everyone in the room had been holding their breath waiting for the rhythm to change, as if the worst was bound to happen any minute. Glances were shared with one another, as everyone waited for the elephant in the room to be addressed. Cheryl sat on one side of the bed alongside beanie boy and his beau, and across from her was Betty, Kevin and Archie. Reggie, Toni and Fangs sat in the chairs at the end of the bed, whom Cheryl side eyed from time to time. There was a quiet knock at the door, before the nurse peaked her head in to check in on Veronica.

“Your friend was stabilized some time ago, she lost quite a lot of blood, so she will need a blood transfusion. Other than that, fortunately she’s going to be fine.” The nurse finished as she was flipping through the papers on her clipboard. Everyone collectively let out the breath they had been holding in, a wave of relief settling in the atmosphere.

“Unfortunately, visiting hours are almost up and only two of you can stay overnight.”

“That’ll be me.” Betty said as she relaxed her back in the chair.

“Does one more person want to stay?”

“I will.” Archie and Reggie said simultaneously, exchanging looks with one another, but before either could cause a scene, Betty chipped in. 

“Actually I was kind of hoping Kevin would stay with me. Do you mind Kev?” Betty asked with a smile on her face that she hoped Kevin could read, Kevin glanced around reading the room before he answered.

“Uh yeah, sure Betty. Absolutely.”

“Okay i’ll give you guys a few minutes to wrap things up, then i'll be back to show the rest of you the way out.” The nurse said exiting the room.

    Cheryl was just about to get in her car, when the voice she heard calling for her from behind made her groan.

“What do you want, hobo?” Cheryl said as she did a heel turn, and plastered a fake smile on her face.

“I wanted to talk to you about something.” Jughead asked.

“Well. Then speak, or do you need my permission?” Cheryl requited.

“In private Cheryl, somewhere no one can hear us.” Jughead implied.

“Okay we can head back to Thistle House, I assure you its-”

“Actually I had someplace else in mind.” He replied, giving her an uneasy look.

“Jugrat Jones if you even so much as imply that sex infested bunker of yours-”

“Come on Cheryl, it's been years since anyone has been down there… for that. Besides, I disinfected it Years ago.” Jughead interrupted her, giving her a cheesy smile. Cheryl simply rolled her eyes in response.

“Fine. Get in the car hobo.”

    Once they arrived at the bunker, Cheryl had glanced around in disgust, thinking about all the surfaces that could have possibly been tainted, then furthermore thought about all the surfaces her and Toni had tainted, and she internally shrugged at it. The thought was quickly dismissed when she had noticed that what Jughead had been sorting through were a bunch of old beaten up copies of Agatha Christie’s novel And Then There Were None, along with his own personal annotations.

“After Toni and Fangs’ housewarming party, I went around and collected everyone's books, which most of them didn’t have a problem giving up.” Jughead said in a matter of factly gesture. He then started to rip out all the pages with the unhighlighted line and sat them side by side.

“When all the lines are put together they create a poem. The poem used in the book as the characters are killed off one by one.” Cheryl watched as Jughead raved like a madman, and then pulled out a written copy of the poem, with all the lines put together, and read them aloud.

Ten Little Soldier Boys went out to Dine, one choked his little self and then there were nine.

Nine  Little Soldier Boys stayed up very late; One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight  Little Soldier Boys traveling in Devon; One said he’d stay there and then there were seven.

Seven Little Soldier Boys chopping up sticks; One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.

Six  Little Soldier Boys playing with a hive; A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.

Five Little Soldier Boys going through a door; One stubbed his toe and then there were four.

Four Little Soldier Boys going out to sea; A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.

Three Little Soldier Boys walking in the zoo; A big bear hugged one and then there were two.

Two Little Soldier Boys sitting in the sun; One got frizzled up and then there was One.

One  Little Soldier Boy left all alone; He went and hanged himself and then there were none.’ Each of us, You, me, Betty, Archie, Toni, Fangs, Reggie, Kevin, Veronica, Tabitha, we all got a copy, that's not a coincidence. I know everyone chose to ignore it, but I got something else in the mail the other day-”

“An invitation with a wax seal asking to play a game.” Cheryl started putting the pieces together and saw where Jughead was going with this.

“The wax seal being a Blossom Crest.” Jughead pointed out, and Cheryl gave him a deranged look.

“This is not my doing, nor is it that my family's, they are all practically dead.” Cheryl clarified.

“No, no, no. I think the crest is being used as a ploy to distract us. There’s no proper motive as to why the blossom would be behind this, and there’s no way of them knowing..” Jughead continued to ramble, until he looked up at Cheryl with that crazy Sherlock Holmes look in his eyes.

“Wait You got one too? That means everyone else probably got one as well, and they’ve just chosen to ignore it. What if.” Jughead paused, placing both his elbows on the table, holding his chin in his hand, before rubbing his face and holding up a finger to Cheryl as he gathered his thoughts.

“What if the car accident wasn’t an accident, because Veronica left for New York, because she tried to Leave Riverdale. They want us to play the game, and this was them setting an example. What if we’re being hunted, and we don't really have a choice, what if our only choice is to play the game?” Jughead looked at her waiting for her response.

“The others will never agree to this-”

“Not without evidence. Hardcore evidence.” Jughead stood up from the table.

“There’s strength in numbers, What do you say? Blossom.” Jughead extended his hand out to shake.

“Partners in crime, for good ol times?” Jughead asked with a sly smile, and Cheryl looked to him with a raised eyebrow.

“I will say I always did find some joy in accompanying you and ex hobo bride in your Nancy and Drew detective fantasies.” Cheryl extended her hand out as well, and shook Jughead’s.

“Let the games begin.” Cheryl finished off with a devilish grin.

I plan on using some more of the other characters as the plot comes along, but Cheryl and Toni still have the bigger part In the story.