Soulmates

Cheryl had stirred awake on her couch to the sound of the fireplace still snapping and crackling. She felt a weight on her as she tried to stretch, and looked down to see Toni was sleeping on top of her with her face nuzzled into the crook of her neck with a blanket thrown over them. Cheryl smiled at the memory of last night. It was a fever dream, and she almost pinched herself just to be sure she wasn’t still asleep. She felt the need to stretch, however didn’t want to wake Toni, so instead simply stared down at her in awe. She thought back to a couple months ago, in the parking lot of pops, Cheryl Blossom had gotten her five minutes. However now as her hand rested on top of Toni’s head, as selfish as it might be, she wanted more than five minutes, she wanted a lifetime.

“Good morning Cheryl” Toni asked with a rasp, her voice still heavy with sleep Cheryl watched as Toni’s eyes fluttered open, and continued to stare at her.

“What? Is there a drool on my face?” Toni asked as she slowly sat up wiping her mouth.

“No Tt, your face is simply a sight for sore eyes in the morning.” Cheryl assured her as she pushed a hair behind her ear, and as if on cue, the baby monitor on the coffee table went off. Cheryl watched as Toni walked off into the hallway, and soon came back with Anthony attached to her hip. She walked over and placed a blanket on the floor and put Anthony on top of it and laid down beside him. She lifted him in the air and dropped him back down as she nuzzled their noses together. This erupted a fit of laughter from Anthony and Toni smiled in response.

“How about I cook breakfast?” Cheryl suggested, not wanting to ruin their moment, however Toni’s smile soon faltered, and she sat Anthony down.

“Absolutely not, last time you tried cooking was in my trailer and you nearly burned Sunnyside to the ground.” Toni strained as she rose to her feet.

“That was in highschool and nearly eight years ago.” Cheryl countered.

“Yeah, no, still not taking the chance.” Toni shot back, already making her way to the kitchen.

      Toni had already cooked the eggs and was now attempting to make pancakes, however Cheryl decided she wasn’t going to let that happen. She watched as Toni concentrated on drawing in the pan with the batter but Cheryl quickly came up from behind her  and startled Toni.

“Damn it Cheryl! I almost had it.” Toni shouted in frustration, and Cheryl looked over Toni’s shoulder attempting to try and comprehend what it was Toni was trying to make. After failing miserably she looked at Toni with a cocked eyebrow.

“What? It was obviously going to be a dinosaur.” Toni sighed.

“Obviously?”

“Yes, obviously. Until you ruined it.” Toni whined. Cheryl was still standing behind, and moved her hands from her waist to the batter bag, and used it to draw a dinosaur.

“You’ve never been talented with your hands in artistry.” Cheryl stated.

“No but my hands have always been good with other things.” Toni chuckled, Cheryl’s throat went dry as she looked at Toni, lost for words. However Toni simply continued to flip the pancake, oblivious to Cheryl’s gaze. She broke from Cheryl's embrace and started to fix the plates up with strawberries and whip cream. After fixing the plates, she made sure to make eye contact with Cheryl as she directly ate whip cream from the can, Cheryl watched until Toni choked on it, and laughter erupted from Cheryl.

“Classy Antionette, you might as well just take the whip cream with you.” Cheryl rolled her eyes, taking the can from Toni as she was recovering.

“Oh I plan on it.” Toni said as she snatched the can back from here and Cheryl frowned.

“When are you going to learn Cheryl, I'm as classy as they get.”  Toni shouted back, already making her way back towards the living room, managing to carry all three plates along with the can of whip cream.
They sat around the coffee table in the living room, so that Anthony could eat with them as well. Cheryl was happy with the domestic feeling that Toni and Anthony brought to her home. However when she looked towards the window and noticed the snowfall had stopped, she was sorely reminded that this was most likely temporary.

“Toni.” Cheryl started, as she reached for Toni’s hand and looked into her eyes searching for an answer to a question she hadn’t even asked yet. Despite not having asked it, Toni already knew where the conversation was going. It was written on her face, however Toni didn’t retract her hand, she simply waited for Cheryl to continue.

“What is this?” Cheryl asked, averting her eyes and lowering her head. “What are we?” Cheryl finished with a mutter. Cheryl felt Toni lift her chin back up to eye level, and smiled at her softly.

“What we’ve always been.” Toni responded, but Cheryl looked at her puzzled by her response.

“Soulmates.” Toni finished, and the corner of Cheryl’s mouth curled up into a smile. 

“I know we haven’t been together for years, but I feel like I could just fall back into it-”
“What about Fangs?” Cheryl asked, wanting to make sure she was hearing this correctly.

“I understand where you're coming from, I do.” Toni let out a sigh, looking at Cheryl with pleading eyes. “If you give me time, if your willing to wait-”

“I’d wait a millennium, Antoinette Topaz.” Cheryl assured her. “But.” Cheryl put a finger up and straightened herself up.

“I demand to be taken out properly.” Cheryl said a matter of’ factly, and Toni playfully rolled her eyes at Cheryl’s dramatic tone.

“Okay so when this snow clears up, i’ll talk to Fangs, and then I’ll take you out on a real fancy date at pop’s” Toni poked at Cheryl before tackling her to the floor gently with Anthony giggling beside them. Cheryl thought back to what Toni had said, about falling back into it like it was nothing. She was right they had spent years apart, but even so, everything just felt so natural between them.

“So soulmates? I like the sound of that.” Cheryl smiled up at her.

“It's always felt that way hasn’t it? We fit together like puzzle pieces, like we’ve known each other for centuries.” Toni responded, savoring the overwhelming joy she was feeling.

“Soulmates it is then.” Cheryl said before sealing it with a kiss.