The Murderer Is In This Room Pt. Seven

Betty

Three Little Soldier Boys walking in the zoo; A big bear hugged one and then there were two.

    Betty watched everyone wander in different directions, and quickly left Archie’s side before he noticed, she knew Archie would only get in her way of investigating. She had been looking behind her to make sure he hadn’t followed her somehow when she roughly bumped into someone as she was turning the corner.

“Hey” Jughead huffed out as he held his head, in a bit of pain. “Any luck?” He asks.

“No. Maybe we should come up with a gameplan, you know. Like maybe you try to talk to Archie.” Betty suggested.

“Yeah, alright and you can try and talk to Kevin.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Betty responded and they walked past each in different directions, looking back at one another and trading smiles before leaving each other's sight. Talking to Jughead lately hasn’t been as awkward as she thought it would be, as long as there was a mystery to be investigated they seemed to get along rather well. She had been lingering in the halls searching for Kevin,  and finally she saw him enter a room shutting the door behind him. She waited for a few minutes to pass before entering.

“Hey Kevin.” Betty smiled awkwardly, taking a seat next to him on the couch.

“Betty, how have you been, how’s you and Archie?” Kevin asked excitedly, and Betty could already feel the guilt start to bubble up in her gut.

“We’ve been doing good.” Betty continued, knowing that she was somewhat lying, however that wasn’t what she came here to discuss, so she kept it short and simple.

“How’s Veronica? .” Kevin asked, and Betty thought back to how her best friend was doing in the hospital.

“She’s not doing any worse.” Betty responded with a hopeful smile. “Do you remember what you were doing that night?” Betty asked, hoping the switch up wasn’t too noticeable.

“Uh sleeping probably-”

“It's just I remember lying in the bed and hearing the phone call, and everything just changing.” Betty added, trying to make it look like she was just reminiscing on how fast things can happen.

“Do you remember?” Betty asked once more.

“I just told you I was sleeping Betty.”

“You used the word probably Kev.” Betty corrected him, and by the look on his face, she realized she had pushed too far and messed up.

“You think I had something to do with Veronica’s accident?” Kevin was angry now and he got up from the couch.

“No Kevin of course not-”

“You know what Betty, I'm not one of your suspects to investigate, I'm your friend. And I know I haven't been the best over the years, but I'm trying. This wasn’t cool Betty.” He scoffed as he was leaving the room.

“Not cool.” He left the room, not daring to look back. Betty tried to go after him, realizing she had screwed up and will admit she was a little rusty at this.

“Hey everything alright?” She heard Archie asking from behind her, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder, looking at her concerned.

“Yeah, Arch, everything's fine.” Betty dismissed and wrapped her arms around his neck looking up at him. Hoping he wouldn’t push it and let it go, however he scoffed instead and knew instantly that he wouldn’t.