The Murderer Is In This Room Pt. Six

Kevin

Four Little Soldier Boys going out to sea; A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.

    Kevin sat awkwardly on the couch with his hands on his knees as he watched everyone wander the house, however he didn’t sit too long when he noticed the only ones left in the living room were him and Fangs. So he quickly got up and scurried off before Fangs noticed. There was undeniable tension between them two, and honestly he didn’t blame Fangs for holding a grudge, he just wished somehow they could be in the same room without being side eyed. He found an empty room and decided he would camp out in it, not really wanting to mingle with the guest, he hadn’t really been close to anyone since high school since Betty, and even they weren't that close anymore. He’d always just been a background noise, and extra on a broadway set. He had been debating on giving New York one more shot, after all there wasn’t anything for him in Riverdale. His thoughts were then broken by someone opening the door gently and shutting it behind them. He looked up to see Betty standing in the doorway awkwardly.

“Hey Kevin.” Betty smiled, taking a seat next to him on the couch.

“Betty, how have you been, how’s you and Archie?” Kevin asked, excited to hear any new gossip he may have missed from his favorite couple.

“We’ve been doing good.” Betty continued, but Kevin has known Betty since they were little, and could tell she was lying. He was going to push for more but then decided against it.

“How’s Veronica? .” Kevin asked, feeling guilty, having not gone to see her since the night he and Betty stayed. Betty’s smile disappeared.

“She’s not doing any worse.” Betty responded with a hopeful smile. “Do you remember what you were doing that night?” Betty asked, and the question caught Kevin off guard.

“Uh sleeping probably-”

“It's just I remember lying in the bed and hearing the phone call, and everything just changing.” Betty added, and Kevin just gave her a funny look.

“Do you remember?” Betty asked once more.

“I just told you I was sleeping Betty.”

“You used the word probably Kev.” Betty corrected him, and he felt like he was being interrogated, and was reminded of the time she did this back at the farm.

“You think I had something to do with Veronica’s accident?” Kevin was angry now and he got up from the couch.

“No Kevin of course not-”

“You know what Betty, I'm not one of your suspects to investigate, I'm your friend. And I know I haven't been the best over the years, but I'm trying. This wasn’t cool Betty.” He scoffed as he was leaving the room.

“Not cool.” He left the room, not daring to look back. He stood at the staircase for a while, reflecting on all the things he’d done in the past. The things he’d done were inexcusable, but he wanted everyone to give him a clean slate and that clearly wasn’t going to happen, maybe New York is for the best. He drug away from his thoughts when someone had bumped into him, and he saw that it was Fangs, a very upset looking Fangs.

“Hey Fangs, are you alright?” Kevin asked, actually concerned, but instead Fangs looked at him with anger in his eyes, which was something he was used to. He then roughly pushed past him, but Kevin didn’t bother retaliating, it just wasn’t worth it. He then continued down the staircase and heard a sharp shriek in the distance, and looked around to see if anyone else had heard, and quickly rushed back down the stairs.