Murderer

Cheryl quietly opened the hospital room door, and slowly eased her way into the room, making sure not to let the door slam. She turned around to find a sniffling, swollen, red-eyed Betty wiping away her tears.

“How is she, dear cousin?” Cheryl asked as she placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Silent.” Betty replied, laying her head on Cheryl’s arm, as she shut her eyes, fighting back the tears.

“Well since she’s not able to answer my questions, maybe you can?” Cheryl asked as she took a seat across the hospital bed, glancing around to make sure they were alone.

“It’s not like I have anything better to do.”

“Do you remember the box with the ribbon everyone received, with the book in it?” Cheryl started.

“Yeah, the Agatha Christie novel.” Betty said as she rubbed the tiredness out of her eyes. “Jughead came by to pick it up last week, I didn’t question it.”

“Have you received anything else?” Cheryl proceeded, and she watched Betty’s expression shift, now looking up at Cheryl, more aware of the situation at hand.

“Why do you ask Cheryl?”

“Have you, cousin?” Betty looked around cautiously before pulling out an envelope from a duffle bag.

“When I went home to pack some clothes to stay with Veronica, I found this in the mail.” Betty replied, handing over the envelope. Cheryl opened the invitation to find the same yes or no format written at the bottom with Kiss and Tell? Written above it. Three Little Soldier Boys walking in the zoo; A big bear hugged one and then there were two. He loves you, he loves you not, he loves you. Are you ready to tie the knot? Cheryl looks up to find Betty’s eyes filled with worry as she is biting her nails.

“Do you mind if I keep this?” Cheryl asked, preparing to place it in her coat, but not before Betty quickly snatched it away.

“What why?” Betty asked protectively.

“Me, you and Jughead have all received one of these, that I know of. I have reason to believe Veronica also got one, and when she tried to leave-”

“Are you saying that this wasn’t an accident and that someone put Veronica in this hospital bed?” Betty whispered through gritted teeth.

“She got into an accident right as she was leaving Riverdale, I believe whoever is sending these gifts are playing a game with us, and we have to play back, if we don’t.” Cheryl looked to Veronica and then back to Betty. Betty had taken up a hair tie to throw her hair into a ponytail, as she got up reaching to put on her coat.
“Cousin, what are you doing?”

“Whoever put my best friend in this bed is going down, so whatever it is you came here to investigate, consider me a part of it.” Betty said as she checked in the yes box of her invitation and put it away after. She had the same crazed look in her eyes that Cheryl had seen earlier in Jugheads’.

“Well then. Allow me to take you back to the bunker and hobo can furthermore explain our findings.” Cheryl responded with a smile on her face.

    Jughead had been knocking on the door a couple minutes now, and he was perfectly fine with waiting. He was just about to knock again when the door swung open.

“Love what you’ve done with the place.” Jughead said with a smirk.

“What do you want, Jones?” Toni huffed out, baby on her hip and all.

“You look like hell.” Jughead said inviting himself in, Toni rolled her eyes and closed the door behind him.

“Thanks Forsythe, that’s what every woman wants to hear.” She said while putting Anthony down in the playpen. “Now, why are you here?”