I

From a place where love and blissfulness was filled to a black hole for anything that's cinnamon spice and anything nice, completely devoid of life.

My old ragged boots trudeged against the vegetation overtaking the mall, careful not to trip over the vines

My footsteps being the only sound other than the groans of the dead echoed off the moldy walls of my childhood mall.

If I just closed my eyes the nostalgic scent of sugar filled my nose as I stopped in front of my favourite candy store.

I glanced over my shoulders to the cashier.

My heart streched painfully, heartstrings a tangled mess as I could only imagine the smiling faces of my old couple sneaking in an extra lollipop into my bag.

A tears that had welled up in my eyes flowed down my cheek at the bittersweet memory.

My eyelids fluttered open once again to face the harsh cold reality that they weren't the people I once knew but killing machines going against the laws of nature

Never in my life had I thought there will cone a day where I will have less then 5 friends by my side much less being one of the handful of humans walking the earth.

Making use of my emotional state a horde of zombies coming my way unoticed, their growing volume of moans going unoticed.

By the time I felt a bony hand clasp around my ankles it was too late.

Before I know it I was being dragged into the horde like a whiny child being dragged out of the candy store.

But just as the zombie that took me was ready to sink their rotting fangs into my sweet sweet flesh a precise slice from my trusty blade rescued me from death's iron grip.

The rotting stench radiating from every zombie acted as a spell that dug up painful memories.

Every whiff of it brought the world around me when my parents were turned into focused.

The buzzing of the panicked crowd, the strong aftershave of my dad filling my nose as he acted as an umbrella from the monsters before one last strangled cry escaped his mouth followed by the monotonous moans of the monster he had become.

It was a stroke of luck that my brother was there to take me to safety before he too was taken from me.

God must be receiving a standing ovation by the heavens as he made the best joke of the universe, or rather my version of hell.

Transforming years worth of resentment into strength which I used to neatly slice off every zombie's head, taking immense pleasure at witnessing their heads rolling ten feet away from their limp bodies.

A red haze clouded my mind, shutting off any rational thoughts as I smashed a stool on the gorry head of a zombie.

"Well done little girl, now I suppose it's way past your bed time now" a voice from behind sounded.

That can't be, I've been living in this hell for a year and I have yet to meet another survivor.

Curious, I turned around to face the owner of the voice.

Rather than the expected sight of a haggard survivor a handsome young boy materialized before me.

But that wasn't what made him so special or his deathly pale skin but the missing portion of his exposed brain and the bloody bite mark on his neck.