CHAPTER 5 - Thinking of You

Thornton paced his office, his thoughts were in a crazy jumble but they followed the same idea, or rather person - Margaret Hale. He knew he had to see her again and soon, his deep love for her was crying out throughout his body and his brain had been consumed by solely her. How could a woman have such an effect on him, he wondered distractedly? He knew she was now a married woman but he couldn't control his feelings even though he knew she would never be able to requite them even if she wanted to, and for once he felt like she might, he at least hoped she might return his feelings even if she weren't able to act on them. It would give his swollen mind some peace. When he had held her hand he was sure she had felt the bonfire inside that he had done from the look in her eyes. Her perfectly formed face, soft pale skin, her delicate nose and full, delectable lips, and her green eyes. The kind of green that pushes its way through the piles of gritty snow to remind you that spring was coming. The kind of green that buds on the prisoners of winter, bringing life back to their branches. That churning, passionate green that the ocean turns during a storm. That colour of the forest after it rains. The colour of the tadpoles making ripples in the pond. That green that brings hope and life no matter what has happened. He got lost in them every time. He had never seen so much beauty in a woman before, but it was not just her beauty that enchanted him, he had never met a woman with a mind like hers before, especially one who so openly shared all her thoughts with those around her. It was a quality he admired and respected her for. No women in Milton were like that. He had to see her, he had to tell her, whatever the injury to himself, and he couldn't live without her knowing, just in case.

His mind eventually made up, he set off for the train station. On the journey down to London he let sleep take over his exhausted body and his dreams cloud reality. He got off the train at the London stop and jumped in a cab. When he reached the hotel he always stayed in when up in London he paid the driver then, taking his small bag in hand, he entered the lobby. 'Mr Thornton,' the familiar smiling, round face of the owner of the hotel, 'Mr Poltern,' Thornton replied with a smile to match Mr Poltern's. After speaking briefly with the man Thornton retired to his room to unpack the little he had brought. On reaching his normal room though he realised that he had forgotten to bring any evening formal wear. 'Damn' was all he said, nothing could put a large damper on his current mood, he simply walked out of the hotel and went in search of the proper attire.

Margaret had to run a few errands the next afternoon and set off in the direction of the tailors to pick up a pair of gloves for Henry after posting her letters to Fred. She could still feel the touch of Mr Thornton's hand on hers as she walked down the street, a smile lit up her face as she remembered their meeting. She'd felt truly happy in those moments. She smiled again and was so caught up in her thoughts that she accidentally bumped into a man walking out of the tailors she had intended on entering. She stood back apologising and the man had lifted his hat to apologise when she realise who it was. It was Mr Thornton. A blush spread over her face at her previous reveries and upon seeing hers his faced turned slightly rosy too. He quickly composed himself though and enquired after her health and all the usual conversation that convention asked him to follow although his heart was bursting to tell her other things; he knew he had to wait till they had some privacy though to talk about such things. After talking for not more than ten minutes Margaret asked him to dine with them that evening if his calendar permitted him to do so as they were holding a small informal dinner party. Thornton readily agreed and spoke to her a few minutes more about the dinner and his gratitude for the invitation otherwise he would have been dining alone. Margaret smiled and nodded her eyes searching his face for any signs of love, and there was something there. She couldn't quite put her finger on it; maybe it was the tenderness in his smile or his unfaltering gaze on her or the way his brow creased slightly when he looked at her as if he were trying to read her own face. She blushed again at thinking about his face so intimately, Mr Thornton noticed and smiled slightly to himself taking it as his cue to leave. He bade her good day and headed back towards his hotel room smiling all the way.

Sorry this is slightly late but I've just got so much on at the moment with end of year exams and everything - anyway, I hope you like this next chapter even if it is a bit small! I will update again soon to try and make up! please vote and comment because it would really mean a lot - Thanks!

lots of love,

Milton Girl