CHAPTER 20 - Apart

Smack! Margaret bit her lip as the pain radiated through her cheek. "How dare you, you bitch." He raised his left arm again but stopped before striking her again. He shook himself, what was he doing hitting a woman, his wife? He turned, his back facing her as a silent, single tear trickled down her pallid cheek. Gritting his teeth he asked, "Why?" He could not turn to look at his wretch of a wife, holding the life of someone else, she was lost to him. Margaret remained silent as the stinging screamed still in her cheek. "I asked you why, answer me woman!" He yelled, spinning on his heel to face the frightened woman. Margaret, brave and strong Margaret had never seemed so breakable, like a rose petal that would fall to the ground at the slightest movement. Margaret murmured something quietly, so quietly he couldn't catch what her words were, "What?" he asked in an exasperated tone. "Because I love him." the words barely left her lips but Henry heard her clearly this time. Had he not done everything for her? Looked after her, taken her in when she was alone in the world, provided her with a stable content life. He had loved her, why had she not returned his affection? Why had she had to seek love from elsewhere? Henry knew that there had been some feeling left between the two but had concluded that it must have died by now and that his sensible, kind wife would never do such a thing. Oh how he had been wrong. He stomped his foot in a childish anguish, slamming his palm against the wall. "I need to leave," he muttered, whether it was to himself or to her, Margaret was not sure. He walked to the door, twisted the handle and opened it calling, "I'll be home for dinner," back at her sourly as he marched from the room, below her she heard the front door slam.

Margaret counted to ten before requesting her maid to her room instantly. Primrose entered with red cheeks from running up the stairs to her mistress, she noted the red looking mark of a hand on the side of Margaret's face but thought better than to remark on it. "Miss," she curtseyed obediently and hurried over to her. "Primrose," a weak smile played on Margaret's face, "Do help me dress please, I need to pay a call." Primrose curtseyed again and replied courteously, "Of course miss, which dress should you like to wear miss? Perhaps the blue one?" Margaret gave her a gentle nod, the blue dress would be fine. Margaret stood up from the bed where she had sat and moved towards the long mirror. Margaret admired the work of her maid as she pinned back the stray locks of her hair, she was sure they would find a way to escape anyway but only smiled at the girl through the mirror before her. When Primrose had finished Margaret picked up her dark navy hat and made for the door. Margaret had noticed the small bump first when she had undressed the previous night, unnoticeable under her clothes but her stomach had definitely begun to swell.

It was mid afternoon and the late autumn sun splashed the canvas of the streets and trees in a dappled orange light. The light spilt through the large plain trees in lacy ribbons of apricot and bronze, bursting on the ground in a waltz of light. Margaret couldn't help but smile at the beauty. Even in this dirty city, far from her childhood home in Helstone, she could appreciate the beauty of the cold grey lines and harsh metallic colours as the sun bounced off their proud exteriors, boasting excellence and splendour. Margaret sighed as she realised she had been dawdling, she did not know how long Henry would be gone for and she had to tell him. Her mind was racing and her heart jamming wildly against her ribs as she yet again thought of how he might take the news. Would he be annoyed, angry even with her? Would he strike her too? No, surely he wouldn't, he loved her didn't he? What if he didn't when he learned of the child she was carrying, his child? What if he wanted nothing more to do with her? Margaret banished the cruel thoughts from her mind as they spun in ugly pirouettes, caking her brain in a sticky tar of worry. She took a deep breath, lifted her skirts slightly into her hands and walked faster.

Margaret hurried through the small park and out into Clapton Terrace, she paced down the road until she reached the hotel she was looking for. Pulling her hat forward and shading her face she walked purposefully into the small lobby, took the stairs on the left and followed them up to the second floor, she then strode determinedly to the oak door labelled 203 and knocked loudly. Silence greeted her and she waited anxiously for the door to open. She rapped her fist again on the small door. Where was he? Why wasn't he in his hotel? Why wasn't he answering the door? She stepped back from the door and caught her foot on her skirt, with a small yelp she tumbled forwards into the door which to her surprise swung open. Margaret dusted herself off hastily and picked herself up from the carpeted floor. When she had gathered herself and taken the time to look at the sight before her she gasped in horror. The bed covers lay askew on the floor, a table lay on its side and the armchair that had sat in the corner of the room had one leg broken off from it. A light smattering of red covered the creamy carpet and the green walls and there was a large dent in the small chest of drawers. "John?" Her voice came out as a hoarse cry, she didn't notice the tears that had begun to spring from her eyes. She closed the door to the room and stumbled over to the bed. As she approached she realised that there was something or rather someone behind the mahogany four poster. Slowly she walked around the side of the bed, dreading what, or rather who she would find lying there. 

Hey everyone!

I know I've been so bad at updating but I'm going to try to be better, please bear with me for the moment as I've got GCSEs happening right now but I'm trying to write as much as possible! Here is the next instalment, we're slowly coming to the end, nearly there! Hope you're enjoying it and sorry for the sort of cliff hanger ending. I will try to update as soon as I can but sorry if its a bit irregular! please comment and vote, it means a lot to me when you do! Thank you for those that have stuck with this from the start, hope you enjoy it  :) 

love,

Milton Girl xxx