CHAPTER 15 - Country Calling

The next morning was a clear day but rain had been promised for the late afternoon. She dressed in a white and blue spotted skirt with a white lacy blouse, giving her a rather girly, feminine look. She went downstairs to just catch Henry before he left for work at the law firm. She told him she was planning on going to their country residence in Derbyshire for a few days with her ladies maid as she missed the countryside. Henry knew how much Margaret loved the countryside, in particular he knew she loved Helston the pretty country town where she had grown up, however, he had not been able to find anywhere available in Helston when they had married so had purchased a modest estate in Derbyshire. Henry smiled at her warmly, he would not deny her a visit to the countryside and he gave her permission readily, delighting in the large smile that filled her face when he agreed. Being able to see her smile filled him with joy and he couldn't help but smile back at her, Margaret doubted that the smile now planted on his face would be there if he knew all the details of her visit, for she was planning on going with Mr Thornton. She couldn't wait to spend four whole days with him in the countryside.

Margaret was not pleased that she had to lie to her husband especially as she regarded him as a friend to her, but she couldn't bare to be parted from Mr Thornton. Their love was stronger than anything she had ever known. She ran up the stairs of their house and grabbed her already packed bags. She swiftly left the house, cases in hand and hailed a taxi. She did not have to wait long for a carriage to pull up next to her, lift her bags in then assist her into the carriage. She tapped her fingers nervously on the velvet lining of the coach as it pulled up outside the hotel where Mr Thornton was staying. She told the driver she would not be two minutes and, after pulling the large cloak over her body and hiding her face, she climbed gracefully down from the carriage with the drivers help and scampered into the hotel and up to Mr Thornton's room.

She rapped swiftly on the solid wooden door, and it opened almost immediately to reveal a smiling Mr Thornton, small case in hand. Like an eager schoolgirl, Margaret grabbed his large hand in her delicate one and began to pull him from the hotel and into the carriage as quickly as possible. Mr Thornton knocked on the ceiling of the plush coach with his hand and they jolted forward rather unceremoniously. The sudden movement of the coach pushed Margaret forward, so that she fell into Mr Thornton who was sitting opposite her. Her outstretched arms latched onto his shoulders and he carefully hoisted her into his lap with a smirk growing on his face. Margaret blushed at the compromising position they were now in, in a carriage no less! It was all very well behind closed doors but they were still in London where they could be seen, at that thought Margaret's eyes unconsciously moved to the small windows of the coach in which they were ensconced. Mr Thornton noticed her apprehensive look and, with her still held in his arms, moved to pull the dark purple curtains hanging from the window together. He smiled victoriously at her and snuggled her even closer to his chest, placing a lingering kiss on her forehead. She smiled contentedly and let his masculine scent, and deep warmth flood through her and envelope her body.

Mr Thornton tightened his arms around her thin body as he listened to her breathing slow. He stroked his long fingers through her auburn curls playing absentmindedly with the ends. He had been absent from Marlborough Mills for around two months now, and, although he trusted its smooth running under the keen eye of his overseer, Williams and his friend and advisor, Higgins, he felt he ought to return to it soon. He had been given a large amount of money, anonymously, to re-start the once brilliant mill, and, over time, it had returned to its previous glory. He had received many letters from his mother to which he had replied, but he gathered from them that she also missed his presence in the big, old, stone house. He had never felt he could truly call it home, it was always cold and dark, lacking in love. His lips turned up into a slight smile at the idea of Margaret living there with him, he knew she would fill the depressing house with love and happiness. His smile was quickly washed away and replaced with a frown as he knew that that would never be possible, Margaret was already married as he would have to keep reminding himself. She would never be his truly, she belonged to another. He felt his heart twist and constrict in his chest at the thought. He would never be able to walk along the street with her like a normal couple, he could only see her in private, would it ever change? He wanted to show her off as his, for she was his in more ways than she was Lennox's. He resigned to the fact that he would always be her secret lover, he didn't care what he had to do or where he had to go, as long as Margaret would be there, married or not. He loved her, she loved him, they were together, they were happy and nothing could ruin his mood as a few days in the countryside lay before them. They would be free to go out together, to wander aimlessly around woodlands, to take picnics out, to ride across the hilltops and to be together every second of the day. Thornton sighed in content. 

Thanks to everyone for sticking with this story, soon we'll be counting down the chapters to the end! Thank you all for your kind comments and for voting and please continue to do so! I'm dedicating this chapter to a certain Mr Jones for his support and enthusiasm for this story. I hope you all enjoy this latest instalment. School starts again tomorrow so might be a bit slower again with the updates as I will have way too much work... Anyway, vote, comment but mainly enjoy! 

All my love, 

Milton Girl

xxxxxx