CHAPTER 9: Thinking of You

The party soon ended and Margaret headed to bed, whilst the servants busied themselves clearing up. As she changed out of her chalky dress, letting the silky folds of the soft, milky-white material fall from her tired body, she lightly brushed her fingertips across her still tingling lips, remembering the feeling oh Mr John Thornton's lips on hers. She blushed at the thought. A true smile crept across her face, and she quickly discarded her dress on a chair and slip into a nightgown that lay on her bed, before climbing into the soft cocoon of her duvet and blankets. She was exhilarated yet exhausted by the events of the day and needed to thoroughly think through all that had happened earlier and the consequences of her subsequent actions. As much as she yearned to be with John Thornton she knew how wrong it would be of her to enter into an affair with him. She didn't love her husband, Henry, she knew her heart would always belong to John Thornton, that didn't however mean that she could just turn her back on Henry completely, without a second thought, could she? She was torn. She tossed and turned, finally deciding that she needed to get some rest and that she would think further on the confusing subject the next morning. With that resolved in her mind she snuggled into the warm, familiar linen of her bedding. She managed to drift off very quickly and entered dreams occupied by John Thornton.

Thornton smiled to himself as he walked back along the dimly lit streets. The night was dark, the sky a canvas flecked with stars, fluid strokes of ebony filling the frame. The wind crept silently through the roads muffling the night. The old lamps that lined the street flickered, yellow and orange dancing in unison, the moon shining down on the sleeping roofs , watching over the houses as they slumbered, casting them in a pale light, creating bowls of silver on the roads. Shadows quivered under the intense stare of the blackness and scurried deeper into the night. A stray cat ripped a pool of moonlight in two as it skimmed across the road in front of him. The cat stared for a few seconds at the man in front of it, its raw green eyes boring into his dark grey ones. The cat then broke the stare and ran off into the calm night. Thornton watched as the cat disappeared then continued on his way through the inky night.

He could not get the kiss out of his mind. He still felt alive with electricity and he felt his body burn with fire as he relived every moment of their passionate embrace. It suddenly dawned on him however that that would probably be their only kiss. He knew Margaret and he was sure she would not enter into any form of affair with himself whilst she was married, but he would try to persuade her. He knew how ruined his reputation would be if it ever got out that he had even kissed her, but if it meant that he could kiss her again, hold her again, tell her he loved her again, he would sacrifice it all for her. She had complete control over him an she would do whatever it took for her to be with him. When he finally reached his hotel he quickly climbed the stairs and fell onto his bed, in a happy exhaustion. He lay there smiling at nothing as he began to fall into a sleep ruled by thoughts of Margaret.

The next morning Margaret awoke early to find one of the servants stoking the small fireplace in her bedroom. She ha d her own bedroom and seldom shared her husband's room due to his early starts and late nights, at least that was what she told him. She quickly changed into a dark blue dress with white stripes running down the sleeves. She then descended the main stairs to the dining room where she found Henry leaving. She smiled, 'goodbye' at him and sat down to eat some toast and marmalade. The events from last night suddenly filled her brain again as she bit into her toast. She poured herself some tea and slowly sipped on it, letting out a sigh as she placed her teacup back into the delicate gold trimmed saucer in front of her. She had reasoned with herself and she knew she had to stop all contact between John Thornton and herself as much as it pained her to do so, and os it was with a heavy heart that she left the house.

The warm morning air circled around her as she ambled along the street trying not to think about what she was about to do. The leaves that covered the trees running up and down the road where a vibrant green, whispering faintly to each other, a language of their own. The sky above her was a dull blue, interrupted only by a few clouds lazing high above the rooftops, soft and crepuscular, like white rabbits sleeping in a field of hazy blues. A cart selling fruits and flowers was placed on the side of the road next to one selling old silverware. She quickly walked past the stalls and told herself not to distract herself from the task that she had set out to do. She nervously reached the hotel where she knew he was staying, and entered the small building. She asked the number of the room he was staying in and then quickly made her way to the correct room. She then bravely knocked on the door after taking two deep breaths and awaited a response.

Thornton heard two loud, clear knocks on his door and groaned, rolling out of the bed and leaning against the bedpost. He was still wearing his shirt and trousers from the previous night. his jacket shoes and cravat lay in a pile by his bed on the floor. He slowly got to his feet and, still in a slight daze, opened the door.

So sorry this is such a late update but i have finally got a new laptop yayayayay so i can finally start updating more often!! I can't believe i almost have 1000 reads that is completely insane!!! Love you all lots and have an amazing summer! 

PS: please continue to vote and comment it means so much! 

Milton Girl

xxx