CHAPTER 19 - Discovery

"Henry?" Margaret stepped back at the sight of her husband's stormy look, "What are you d-doing at home today," She asked nervously. "Welcome back, Dear." He replied, emphasising the way he called her 'dear'. Margaret stepped past Henry's lanky frame and into the main hall behind him hoping the dim entrance would somewhat mask her guilty face. She was only realising the impropriety and foolishness of her actions now. She was a married woman, what had she been thinking? She berated herself, her brain scolding her heart as it shrunk back like a child that had been struck. Margaret opened her mouth to ask him how he was but was hit with a sudden burst of nausea. Gathering her hooped skirts in one hand, she hurried in an unladylike manner to the closest bathroom. Kneeling down indelicately on the washed tile floor she felt her vision blurring slightly. Swirls of blue and red intricate patterns circled before her, she hung her head over the bowl of the seat in front of her and wretched loudly into it. A maid who had been standing by and who had rushed in after her mistress called another member of staff to fetch Mrs Lennox's personal lady-in-waiting. A scuffle of shoes on the newly polished boards echoed through the house as Primrose, Margaret's lady maid rocketed into the overcrowded lavatory to be by her misses side. She soothingly rubbed small circles on Margaret's back, holding back the tendrils of her chocolatey locks that had come loose from her bun atop her head.

Once Margaret had fully emptied the contents of her stomach she was helped up to her bedroom by Henry and two footmen. The look of anger that had earlier resided on Henry's face had not vanished but had been replaced temporarily with one of vague concern and irritation. The two footmen left the couple alone but waited outside, ready should they receive any commands. Not a few minutes later, Henry Lennox opened the door slightly and called upon one of the footmen to fetch Doctor Thurmer and the other to prepare a bowl of cold water and a towel, Primrose was also called for to keep an eye on her mistress as she awaited the arrival of the doctor. Henry closed the door and walked slowly back towards his wife who lay, rather ungracefully, on the green velvet bed before him. Slowly Margaret pulled herself up into a sitting position by grabbing on to the post of the large bed and hoisting herself clumsily up against the downy pillows.

"I've called for the doctor, he should be here soon." Henry spoke monosyllabically and stared past her, intent on the stitching of her duvet, or so it appeared. Before Margaret could ask him anything though the door swung open and a nervous looking Primrose peeped her head inside. Seeing she was indeed in the right place, the timid maid pushed the door open further and walked into the room, hunching slightly. "Sir, Ma'am," She said quietly dipping her head quickly to both of them before scurrying over to the only window in the room and drawing the curtains. "For your head miss," she said in response to the quizzical look that adorned Margaret's pale face. Margaret found the dull pain in her head to somewhat cease and thanked the girl kindly. Henry remained seated near the door, a gloomy look marring his face. The three sat in uncomfortable silence a moment longer before the sound of the front door opening below them, and footsteps on the stairs signalled the prompt arrival of Doctor Thurmer. A gentle knock on the door confirmed the groups' thoughts. Margaret let out a small sigh of relief, the air inside the chamber was becoming suffocating and she didn't know how long she could've stood the echoing silence. Doctor Thurber entered the dark room and walked over to where Henry was seated, he bent his head down and whispered something inaudible to Margaret from where she was sitting. Henry nodded his head stiffly, murmured something in response and slowly got up from his chair and left the room with a brief backward glance at the woman sitting in the bed, her face a wash of white.

Doctor Thurmer then turned towards Margaret, a benign smile upon his wrinkled face. "Hello my dear," he placed his bag of instruments on the floor by the bed, "And how may I help you today?" His question vibrated inside her head. She fiddled with her hands, she knew the risks she'd taken and the possible consequences, she had already come up with a conclusion to her sudden illness, and it was not one she wanted made known to her husband. "Headache, throwing up, nausea, tired." She managed to mumble, another wave of fatigue hitting her and her stomach curling up inside of her as her thoughts started to swim ever so slightly. The doctor "hmmed" and nodded delicately at her string of words.

"And is it possible, Mrs Lennox, that you are with child?" Margaret froze a moment, it felt like a confirmation of her worst fears. "Y-yes." she stuttered barely audibly. Doctor Thurmer nodded his bald head again, a smile resting upon his worn features. Well Mrs Lennox, one cannot be sure, but I believe, from what you have told me and what I can see myself, you are with child. Margaret's face ashen paled more so. "Now then, for the morning sickness I can give you some herbal remedies that should ease your discomfort but it is all natural my dear. I will return to pay you another visit in two weeks," the old gentleman smiled down at her encouragingly. "Oh and Congratulations," he added before stooping low beside Margret, gathering up his bag and hat, and bustling out of the room. An excited squeal left the mouth of her maid who had remained standing next to her silent the whole time. "Imagine that!" She whisper-yelled, "A young Babby in the 'ouse, caw, can I look after it, I've never 'eld a new born in me arms before," The young maid continued on as she bubbled with a joy Margaret had never seen in her before. Margaret could not help but smile at her enthusiasm, she however dreaded the conversation that would ensue with her husband when he was delivered the news.