CHAPTER 17: Rainstorms Approaching

Two days had happily passed since their arrival in Hampshire and today was to be their final day. They awoke to the now familiar feeling of each other's company. They eventually managed to pry themselves from the comfortable bed, although both were reluctant to do so, and headed out towards the small stable at the back of the modest garden. They were to go for a ride before they finally had to leave. The sky was a dusty grey, lines of white streaking through the ageing colour in an attempt to split the ominous colour from swamping the hilly landscape. The pair walked hand in hand until they reached the stable where they began to saddle up the two horses inside.

Once ready, John helped Margaret onto her horse before mounting his own steed gracefully. Margaret watched appreciatively as her beau rode just ahead of her. She brought herself out of her reverie and clicked her tongue whilst pressing her heels into the sides of the chestnut mare she was riding. Margaret sat upright, both her legs resting against the warm belly of the creature beneath her, her unruly autumnal curls whipped back, as if trying to force her to a halt, as the steady wind began to pick up speed, throwing itself in their path as they galloped over the rolling fields. Mr Thornton was attired in all black riding wear as he cantered beside Margaret elegantly who found his commanding presence to be enthralling. His brooding, dusky orbs mirrored the ever darkening sky as they continued their ride over the tumbling landscape.

Margaret felt a drop of water land on her cheek, she tilted her head curiously up to the sky as thousands more began to fall faster and harder. The couple laughed as the rain began to pound down upon them more furiously. "Race you to the top!" Margaret shouted playfully at John as she overtook him, heading for a small, white, wooden pavilion stranded on the highest hilltop. Thornton smiled to himself giving her a moments lead before kicking his stallion with a "Ha," and galloping towards the woman ahead of him. She laughed as she felt him drawing closer. John's heart leapt with his horse as he hurried towards the petite brunette in front of him, her laughter ringing in his ears and filling him with a sense of ecstasy.

Margaret turned her head to see where John was, she giggled at the look of determination painted on his face, before spinning back around as she felt him drawing nearer still. The horses hooves pounded in rhythm on the damp grass that struggled against the ferocious weather, water glossed their shining coats of cinnamon and charcoal as the wind harshly entangled its hands in their manes, grappling at the strands of hair with its clawed fingers. Margaret felt John closer as he pulled up beside her, they shared a competitive glance before both trying to ride faster than the other. Eventually they reached the faded, chalky pavilion that dominated the surrounding grasses. It was worn and tired with years of exposure to the screaming wind and rain. It seemed to Margaret as if it quivered with each onslaught from the vicious wind and each beating administered by the thick rain that smacked against its vulnerable body. Thornton laughed as he jumped off his faithful steed, he was a bit ahead of Margaret and watched her defeated approach with humour and adoration in his eyes but a smug smirk gracing his usually severe face.

"Finally," he groaned, dramatically pulling a small watch form his pocket and glancing at it in mock disbelief as if hours instead of moments had passed, then he lightly added, 'Oh, and I won," flashing her a grin. Margaret pouted in response before accusing him of somehow cheating. He laughed at the adorable look on her face as she tied her horse to the side of the structure. Margaret ran her fingers through her tangled, wet locks and attempted to squeeze water from her soaked dress. "You cannot always win, My Angel," he smiled down at her affectionately. Margaret narrowed her eyes at him and let out a frustrated, "humph," but as she gazed up into his smiling eyes she couldn't help but laugh as well.

"Well then," Margaret half whispered as she walked towards him placing one hand on his chest. She felt his heartbeat increase as she did so, this time she gave a triumphant smirk. She then peered up through her long lashes and leant up to his ear to whisper again, "Catch me if you can," and with that she picked up her soaked skirts and ran from the small pavilion into the pouring rain. Mr Thornton couldn't react immediately, he stood frozen a while longer before hr words fully registered in his fumbling mind and he grinned at her cunning before following her out into the rain.

It didn't take long for him to catch up with her and when he did he swooped her up not his strong arms as she made feeble protests. "Got you," he breathed lowly as he gazed down at her in his arms. "So you have," she replied, equally out of breath. In that moment they were oblivious to the storm surrounding them as they stared into each others eyes, completely entranced. Thornton lifted his tall hat to hold it over her head as he leant down towards her to capture her lips in a sweet kiss full of love and longing.

Margaret's body warmed as she pressed herself tighter against him, engulfed in the heat they were radiating. Reluctantly they pulled away and Margaret snuggled closer into his chest as he carried her back to where they had tethered their horses. This time though, instead of riding seperately, Mr Thornton tied Margaret's horse to his and he gently placed Margaret onto his own steed before climbing up behind her and setting off back to the small house with Margaret pressed tightly to him the whole time. 

Hey everyone!

Sorry its been SO long since I last updated, I wasn't feeling very motivated but I've decided to finish this story as I know I hate reading stories where they are just given up on. So, here's the long awaited next instalment, I hope you all enjoy it, please vote and comment :) I shall try to update more regularly now although this isn't the best time to return to this story really with GCSEs fast approaching - oh well! Sorry again and thank you for sticking with this story those of you who have!

Love,

Milton Girl 

xxx