CHAPTER 7 - I Love You

Thornton sat on his bed thinking back to the dinner. He thought back to the looks she had given him and smiled at the thought. He wasn't entirely sure of her feelings but he now knew that she most definitely did not hate him and even wondered if it had been love that he had seen in her eyes? He grinned from ear to ear at the thought that she might return even a third of his affections for her. He knew he had to see her again and tell her, he could not live in this torture any longer. That night was a restless one. Thornton tossed and turned in his sleep, occasionally mumbling her name into his pillow and holding it closer to him. His mind swam with images of her perfect form and distracted his sleepless brain. By the time morning finally came he was exhausted from the events of the previous night. He decided a walk would be a good way to calm his unsettled mind and so, after quickly changing and washing, he set off from the hotel and into a large park that was situated very close to his hotel. It was still early in the morning and few people were up, giving him plenty of breathing and thinking space. The wind brushed coolly against his already cold skin and rustled the green leaves of the surrounding beech trees. The sky was laced with a fringe of pink and orange on the horizon, disappearing in a painted haze as the sky became a bright cobalt. He listened to the sound of his shoes on the crunching gravel, breaking the morning silence. He suddenly became aware of another pair of shoes coming towards his and he lifted his head immediately as the small, delicate and familiar figure of Ms Hale (or rather Mrs Lennox now as he tried to remind himself) crashed into him. The pair had been so consumed in their own thoughts that they had not noticed the approach of the other until they were on top of each other. Margaret had tripped slightly and began to fall but felt the strong arms of Mr Thornton grab her petite waist and hold her. Even though she had been mere moments from a possibly nasty accident and it was caused partly by him she felt safe and at home in his arms. She looked up into his face carefully assessing his emotions (which weren't the easiest to read). He looked shocked to see her, yet happy but also, was that a hint of anger and jealousy she saw in his eyes? She couldn't tell for it passed so quickly that it was hardly noticeable. She continued to stare up at him and he down at the angel in his arms until he quickly coughed realising that he had been holding her too long to be deemed appropriate for a gentleman, and he hastily disentangled himself from her after making sure she was securely back on her feet. Margaret was slightly disappointed if she was honest that he had let her go so soon, but she admired his gentlemanly manners; how he had changed in the time she had known him and how she herself had changed because of him. After too long a pause Mr Thornton hurriedly composed himself and equipped himself with his manners, he was still at a loss for words after the intimate encounter and all he could manage was a slightly raspy, 'Mrs Lennox.' Margaret registered the look of sadness and jealousy in his eyes and was quite caught off guard by the effect he had on her, his smouldering gaze, his pained yet contented face whenever he looked at her, she was truly, deeply in love with Mr John Thornton and she knew that she would always feel that way. Suddenly realising she hadn't replied Margaret hastily responded, 'Mr Thornton, what a surprise, I was just coming to your hotel to drop off an invitation, but I suppose I can give it to you now. How fortunate I was to stumble upon you.' Thornton looked at her, his head slightly cocked in confusion; 'an invite? to what?' He thought. As if reading his mind, she quickly answered his unspoken question. 'It's a ball,' she exclaimed, ' here, all the information is here.' she handed him the envelope and their fingers brushed sending shock waves down their bodies and electrifying each hair on their arms. Thornton studied her face; he sensed she had felt it too, how could she not? He had to tell her, and he had to do it now. 'Mrs Lennox, Margaret.' He started, but he was immediately cut off by Margaret who with wide eyes looking into his, suddenly announced that she had to be on her way that very second to give out more invitations and that she was sure that whatever he had to say could wait. With that she speedily turned on her heel and set off at a brisk pace, twisting around to face him and shouting, 'I do hope you come,' she turned a corner and exited the park. As he watched her go he muttered under his breath the three words he so desperately needed to tell her, 'I love you.'

Hey guys!

first of all I'm so so so so so so sorry that I haven't uploaded in ages - I was cooped up in Wales with no internet connection and then came back to a ton of work when I got  back to England!! so yeah I apologise again for being a sh** updater  - I promise I will try to be much better at it in the future! please continue to vote and comment it means so much to me when I see that people are enjoying what I'm writing! Oh my God I can't believe that I have over 290 reads that is so insane! I never thought I could ever get near that many so thank you so so much for that! If you ever want to talk about this story or  work or stress or just life in general feel free to pm me and I will respond as soon as I can! Have an amazing evening

Lots of Love

Milton Girl xxx

PS: if any of you are Dramione shippers we need to fangirl over that - I can't even..... !!!