CHAPTER 6 - Feasting on You

Thornton got dressed in his room and quickly made his way out of the hotel. He was running slightly late so hailed a cab instead of walking as he had planned earlier. He had fallen asleep as soon as he got back to the hotel and he let his mind drug him into sleep and the ever so pleasant thoughts of Margaret Hale. He had woken up surprised to find that it was already twenty past six and hastily hurried to prepare himself. He gave the driver the address that Margaret had written down for him in her perfect, dainty handwriting.

                Thornton walked quickly up the steps and pulled the door bell, hearing it ringing inside and the sound of feet shuffling his way. A servant opened the door and ushered him in, taking his coat from him as Thornton stepped over the threshold and into the house. Her house. He walked over to the sitting room to his right as he had been instructed to by the servant at the door and entered. He recognised the faces of Margaret's aunt and her cousin as he had seen them on his visit to the mill convention the previous year, but apart from that knew hardly anyone else. He looked around the room and his eyes fell on Margaret, on the arm of Henry Lennox. He frowned and felt a pang of jealousy as he looked on with distaste at the man standing next to Margaret, his Margaret. What was he thinking; he'd never had any right to her so why should she be 'his'? He wished every day that he had spoken to her again about his feelings before she left Milton, then he might have been able to stand with her as he did, he felt another sting in his heart as he took in the reality of the situation, she would never be his, it was too late now. As he looked at her though he noticed that she didn't seem particularly happy or interested in what was going on around her, she smiled at the man and woman who were talking to her and Henry but it wasn't one of her real smiles. Just at that moment she lifted her eyes to scan the room and they fell on Mr Thornton. A smile immediately escaped her lips and her whole face lit up, she was like a beam of light, an angel. She said something quickly to the man and woman and made her way towards Mr Thornton instead. 'I'm so glad you came,' she said, 'I thought I'd be stuck here all night having to talk about the Law with a bunch of old scholars.' She rolled her eyes and he laughed a little gazing down at her with nothing but pure adoration in his dark, gentle eyes. He hadn't noticed before just how gorgeous she looked as he had been too focussed on the jealous rage burning him up, but she looked breath taking. Her dress was a blue-green colour shimmering like the ocean, it hung from her shoulders and was tight around her chest and waist but then fell around her in cascades of satin. Her hair was done in a simple up do ; no fancy jewels like there would have been if it had been his sister Fanny, but more beautiful than if every jewel in the world had been put in it. She also wore a small necklace, a delicate silver chain with a small dragonfly on it; it fell over her elegant collarbones and stopped a few cm above the line of her dress hanging beautifully. He was bewitched by her; his face was one of complete devotion. She looked up at him and was caught off guard by the look in his eyes, she blushed and quickly turned around to fetch him a drink, her heart pounding in her ribcage, screaming to be set free from within its dark prison.

                A servant called them in to dinner and they made their way into the adjoining room where nine places had been laid. Margaret sat in the middle and her husband at the head of the table. Thornton had been placed opposite her and the other guests surrounded them talking idly, the women of the weather and the fashions and the men of business in general.  Thornton remembered the mill owner's dinner that he had held in Milton, he remembered every detail from that night, every word she had uttered, every look she had given him, and everything she'd worn. He reflected on that evening and wondered if she were doing the same. The food served was delicious but Thornton feasted solely on her flawlessness.

                Margaret stole glances at the man opposite her who she adored so much, and every time she did she caught him staring at her with a deep longing in his eyes. Just that look did things to her, made her feel things that she never thought any man could make her feel. That's when she realised just how far she'd fallen for him. Everyone says love is strong but you can never understand what that means until you love as strongly as Margaret Hale and John Thornton loved each other, however unaware of the others affections they were.

                The night continued much the same, with Thornton staring at her whilst she took moments to observe him in all his glory when he was talking to those around him. Margaret was taking a sip of her wine when she heard him whisper to her, 'You look beautiful tonight.' She felt her cheeks colour and her body shivered at his deep whisper. 'Thank you.' Was all she could manage to reply. He leant back and continued eating, turning to see Henry looking at him suspiciously. Henry had always seen Thornton as competition, but had felt secure knowing that Margaret was his wife now. However, as he looked at both of them it was very obvious to him that Thornton was very much in love as ever with Margaret, and as far as he could tell, Margaret looked just as equally in love with him. Henry frowned to himself before carrying on his conversation with the man next to him. He knew Margaret wouldn't do anything stupid but he didn't like it all the same.

Hey!  So here is this extra chapter as promised because I spent so long doing the last one - hope you like it! Again, please feel free to comment and vote and you can message me if you ever want to talk to someone about anything - seriously anything :)  anyways..have a great day!

Lots of  love

Milton Girl

xxx