CHAPTER 8 - Dance With Me

Thornton was getting dressed again, the invite Margaret had given him was to a ball being held by her and her husband to celebrate the return of an old friend of Henry's. Balls weren't really his thing but he was going for he knew Margaret would be there and she wouldn't be able to avoid him too easily this time; he had to tell her, it was killing him slowly inside, he had to know how she felt. He tied his bowtie and pulled on his jacket, smoothing down the tails at the back, he then grabbed his watch, checked the time and left the hotel.
When Thornton arrived he was greeted by Margaret and Henry at the main entrance and then continued on through the throng of people and into the main hall area where drinks were being served in large pewter bowls on a side table. Thornton grabbed a matching, smaller pewter bowl and served himself some punch from the bowl using a ladle. He stood there for several more minutes waiting till the majority of the guests had arrived and the host and hostess re-entered the main room. A small silence fell across the room of decorated women and uniform men, but this was soon ended by a short announcement from Henry Lennox declaring that dancing should commence. This was met by a cheer from the ladies and some of the men and with that, the orchestra at the back of the room started playing, and the couples took to the floor.
Thornton waded through the sea of lilac and daffodil material that hung from the women and the rather amusing, penguin-like sight of all the men in their stiff black suits with tails and starched white shirts. Finally his eyes locked with hers and he took a small intake of breath as he really noticed just how gorgeous she looked this evening. Tonight she was dressed simply in a full length pale white dress. It clung to her body at the waist and bodice but then fell in folds of silk to the ground, her hair was decorated with tiny pearls in it and she wore a small string of pearls around her neck. She looked like an angel sent from the heavens, her soft features melted into the dress as she stood there, smiling, at him. He walked over to her and holding out his hand, asked her to dance. She nodded in agreement and he took her to the floor just as the song changed to a much slower one. They danced three more dances after that, him never wanting to let go of her, she felt vulnerable in his arms and he felt the strong urge that he always got around her; to protect her and make sure nobody laid a finger on her. They were interrupted by a light cough behind them and an older man asking her for the next dance, smiling at Mr Thornton she let him go and walked towards the man adjacent to him.
Thornton hid his disappointment at having to leave Margaret well behind his stern features. He wandered towards the table from which drinks were being served and stood admiring her as she danced. She truly was the most exquisite creature he had ever met and he cursed himself for not treating her properly when he had first met her, she may not have rejected his attempted proposal if he had acted differently towards her as she herself said. He was lost in thought as his eyes stayed focussed solely on her. He had decided to tell her tonight and so he would, but there never seemed the right time. As the night wore on Thornton became agitated, needing to get his feelings off his chest. At one moment he almost managed to tell her but she was approached by Mr Lennox introducing her to some distant relatives of his.
Thornton thought he would never get the chance, however it seemed fate was on his side as he managed to gain her attention finally. He asked if it were possible to have a private word with her in one of the smaller rooms of the house and she agreed. She led him to a small sitting room, she had a feeling this wasn't going to be a talk about the mill, but she was lost to what it might be about. She hoped he might return her feelings and something told her that he might indeed share her feelings. She didn't know if it was the tenderness of his touch as if she might break like china if he held her too tightly or the intense look in his dark grey eyes whenever he looked at her, but they led her to believe she might hold a place in his heart even if it were just a small one, she would never have guessed just how much of his heart she had actually stolen.
The room was dimly lit by a few lamps and candles on the fire place. There was a small red sofa to one side of the room where a large mahogany dresser stood. On the other side of the room were two dark green chairs and a small black table separating them and the floor was covered by a large Indian carpet which seemed to be Thornton's point of focus. He lifted his head to speak but, now that he had the chance to speak to her, he didn't know how to tell her how he felt at all. He just gazed down into her face, her eyes were alert and her lips slightly parted in confusion. She asked him what it was he had wanted to tell her about nervously, her heart was beating ten times its normal rate at their closeness; she could reach out and touch his face from where she was stood if she wanted to. 'I... I...' he stuttered uselessly, why couldn't he just get the words out? She looked up into his dark eyes trying to decipher his thoughts through them, she noticed a small change in them when he noticed her staring at him and she quickly bowed her head in embarrassment at being caught admiring him. Suddenly being overtaken by the urge to touch her he lifted her chin up to face him, her eyes were filled with mild shock at his touch which sent sparks through her body, and she shivered slightly, she could tell that he had surprised himself as well, but they didn't show any signs of regret within them at all.
Slowly he began to bring his face closer to hers. At the realisation of what he was doing she froze. Her eyes widened and she couldn't move; her feet were rooted to the ground. The sound of her thudding heart was the only noise she could hear. She looked into his face and saw the deep emotion in his eyes. Without thinking she quickly closed the gap between them and met his lips with hers. The kiss was soft at first but became hungry and needy; tentatively he pulled her against his chest and held her around her waist, never wanting her to leave. She placed her arms around his neck pulling him closer to her. Their mouths danced together in synchronisation as they revelled in this experience and in each other. Gasping for air they pulled away reluctantly and placed their foreheads together. When she looked into his eyes she was hit by the dark lust mixed with tender affection and surprise in them. His eyes met hers and he slowly whispered, 'I love you,' in a deep husky voice that sent electricity shooting down her spine. He loved her, and that was all that mattered to Margaret. 'I love you too John,' she said. He kissed her again, this time more softly, but there was still a sense of urgency from both. Neither could remember a happier time.

Sorry this has taken me so long to get out! It is a slightly longer one than usual though as I really wanted to have this ending in this chapter so that in the next one new stuff can happen! Yayay I hope you guys enjoyed reading this chapter as I really liked writing it - by the ending I was fangirling so much haha... Anyway hope you like it! And as ever vote and comment it means loads to me - I can't believe how many reads this story has its incredible! I'm so thrilled that you are all reading my work!

Love you lots

Milton Girl

Xxxx