CHAPTER 22 - Sails Flying

John nodded slowly as he let the words wash over him. He had killed a man, the woman he loved's husband. The words seemed to effect Margaret as if hitting her for the first time, as if realising at who's hands he had died. Her body stiffened and her hand moved instinctively to her stomach, as if to protect her unborn child. John did not miss the subtle movement. He placed his hand over hers, grasping her soft, cold hand in his rough one. "Our child." He managed to murmur. He gazed down lovingly upon the woman carrying his bairn, he felt time grind to a halt. The body behind the bed was not there, the worry vanished from his mind as he begged for her to look up at him. He needed to see she still wanted him, still loved him, a murderer.

Margaret battled with her emotions restlessly. 'Of course you're still madly in love with him,' her heart cried, but, 'he just killed your husband.' Her mind tossed like driftwood on the stormy waves. 'You're free!' Her heart shouted, 'you can do what you want, create a new life for yourself, with John!' She felt like screaming at the voices to stop. Margaret could feel his eyes boring into her, she felt him willing her to look up at him. Slowly she lifted her chin slightly, her eyes following suit. From under her long lashes she peered cautiously up at the man next to her. The look in his eyes made the air catch in her throat, she had never seen so much emotion in a person's eyes. There was guilt, worry, fear, longing, but most importantly, there was an unwavering love staring down at her in his eyes. She once again let herself get lost in his dark orbs, dangerous but gentle, molten silver shining in them. She knew that no matter what, she belonged with him, murderer or not. She felt her eyes begin to glisten with a littering of salty tears. There was no need for secrecy now, her husband and old friend was dead, the man she loved had killed him but she still wanted him, she was carrying her lover's child, she was happy and sad and guilty and afraid. There were too many thoughts and emotions flowing through her head, flooding her brain. "Oh John," She cried before flinging her arms around his necking and letting her tears break free in a torrent of feelings.

It didn't take Thornton long to react, he immediately swept up the small bundle of blue in his big arms and cradled her head to his chest as she wept into his shirt. He pulled her small body as close to him as he could, and never again would he let go of her. She belonged with him and now they would be together. As he stroked her dark curls and rubbed her back gently trying to provide comfort as he shushed her in his arms, his thoughts returned miserably to the limp body lying next to the bed. They had to go, but where? After he had subdued Margaret enough so that her bawling had turned into the occasional hiccup as her body still shook gently in his arms and her lip wobbled, he asked the question, "What now?" Margaret didn't know herself how to answer the question. She knew they had to get as far away as possible from this mess. Suddenly it came to her, "Spain," she chimed, "My brother lives there with his wife, you know, the one I told you about who came to visit us in Milton before mama..." She trailed off. Thornton gave her a small squeeze and pulled her closer to him before replying, "Yes, lets go to Spain."

The water rippled against the sides of the ship, its murky colour revealing nothing of what it hid below its surface. A seagull swooped down to land on the side of the vessel and opened its yellow-orange beak to shrill a few notes. Margaret, bag in one hand, and the other clasping John's arm tightly, looked up at the large bird, pacing along the deck of the ship with the arrogance of a captain commandeering his boat. She smiled as the gull continued to strut across the ship until the gates were finally opened, the steps put down and people began to scramble onto the ship. Margaret tugged on Thornton's sleeve as people started boarding the ship in a hurry. They walked up the gangway and onto the ship heading to the stern of the boat. They found a shaded spot of the deck with two deckchairs placed conveniently next to each other. Margaret and Mr Thornton sat down in the chairs and closed their eyes, their thoughts drifted to their undisturbed future together in Spain and smiles crept onto both their faces. Margaret gave Thornton's hand a squeeze which he returned. They both opened their eyes and Thornton bent down to give the woman he loved an affectionate kiss.

Their was a loud noise as the engine started and the ship slowly began to pull away from the dock. The water splayed out beneath the hull of the ship, churning into furious frothy waves, licking the sides of the boat hungrily. The sky danced with seagulls cheering loudly as the azure plane stretched seemingly endlessly ahead of the boat. The freshly painted sides of the white ship reflected the light from the beaming sun and indigo sea and cut through the water like an elegant swan. Margaret and John watched as they were taken further and further from the shore of England. The couple's smiles broadened as they truly said goodbye to their problems and welcomed their future with opened arms.

THE END

Hey guys,

Can't believe this is finally finished! I hope you liked the final chapter! Let me know if you've enjoyed this story, sorry for the slow updates along the way but we've got there! Your comments and support have been amazing throughout writing this, so I really hope you do like how I've chosen to end it, I had a hard time deciding how to write the last few chapters. I was thinking of writing an epilogue possibly - thoughts on that? Love to you all for sticking with this story. Have a great day! ( Can't believe I have had over 8,000 reads on this story you guys are amazing <3 ) 

Milton Girl

xxx