Chapter 15: I Can Try?

I go back to my room wondering if Jack is going to come to me and bring me to the Prince. I try to occupy my time by reading a book but I keep reading the same sentence without comprehending. I hear a knock at the door and Prince Ren walks into my room.

"Anise are you okay? Has Roze come and bothered you again?" Ren asks.

"No, I am fine but I just really wanted to ask a favor from you" I say.

"Sure is it a guard? do you feel like you need some extra protection?" Ren asks.

"No, I am fine, it is just that you have made the cuts in the harem and I was wondering why  you haven't let me go? I am not doing well in all the classes compared to the other girls that you have let go? I understand that you think I am in danger of Roze, but I really don't think he would come for me when I go home" I say. Ren sighs and sits down on the bed.

"Anise, you have to understand that I know Roze better than you, and I really feel that once he has picked you for himself he will not give up no matter what you do!" Ren explains. I turn away and feel the burning hot behind my eyes and I try to quickly wipe the few tears escaping. Ren stands and puts his hands on my shoulders.

"I realize that you want to go  home but I really want you to be safe and I really would miss you here. Do you think you can stay at least for me?" Ren says. He then hugs my back and puts his arms around my waist.

"Why would you miss me? there are many girls to take my place!" I say trying to steady my voice.

"Anise, no one could replace, you just seem so comfortable and safe to me, I feel so drawn to you" Ren says. I turn around and look in his eyes and I realize that he is being sincere. I feel my heart melting, and I also have felt very lonely. I fall into his strong arms and let my head rest against his chest, I can feel his steady heart beating and I feel stronger. I feel his arms tighten around me.

"Anise do you think you could be happy with me?" Ren asks.

"I don't know, but I can try" I say. I reply. Ren lets me go and smiles looking at my eyes. He traces his fingers around the necklace he gave me and smiles. He then touches the pearl necklace and looks at it.

"This is a pretty necklace too? where did you get it?" Ren asks.

"Oh I got this from the ocean" I reply. I mean I am not exactly lying.

"These necklaces kinda clash together though" Ren says analyzing the necklace.

"I guess so, I can take it off, but I just feel like it keeps me safe" I say.

"Well I can get you many more pretty necklaces for you to wear." He replies. I smile and nod. "I am very curious about you, you know" He says.

"Really, I am not that interesting I grew up near the ocean and my father has a large orchard, and I have 4 brothers" I reply.