Chapter 22: A Mermaid Return

"Hello girls" she says. I squint my eyes and see a familiar face looking at me. This is Maris the mermaid I met a while ago,but it doesn't make any sense? she is not a mermaid anymore and I can only stare at her dress trying to detect her feet.

"Anise! You are back! I am so happy to see you!" Maris says while walking over to the table.

"Maris?" I say confused.

"Listen Anise I need to talk to you alone" Maris says. I nod and she pulls me out of the room and pushes me into another room so we are alone.

"Maris? how are you not a mermaid anymore? Why are you here?" I say.

"Well it is all thanks to you for giving me your wish! and I am going to be Queen, I might as well become the most powerful human now!" Maris says.

"Why would you want to do such a thing? why don't you just go and enjoy being a human?" I ask.

"Silly, life is not about letting life happen to you, you need to make life happen for yourself" Maris says. I see a part of her personality that I never had seen previously in the short time before. I feel funny like I am seeing something scary happening.

"Well that is an interesting theory" I say laughing nervously.

"I see that you are using your necklace wisely and have also gotten close to the throne" Maris says and bumps her arm against mine.

"Yes, I only recently realized that the necklace had magical properties" I say.

"I knew that I could help you in life, but it is too bad that I will still need to crush all those girls including you to be the winner!" Maris says.

"Well, it looks like you have all the advantages" I say.

"Yes it almost seems to easy with all the advantages of having magical abilities gives me."

"Is that how you have enchanted Prince Ren?" I ask curiously.

"You are very smart my girl" Maris says while tapping my nose with her finger. "I have to go now and check on my soon to be husband now."

Maris walks out of the room leaving me alone completely dumbfounded. I need to see what shape Prince Ren is in to fully grasp the situation. I go back and join the other girls and of course they are all interested in what we talked about. I can't let them know that she is a mermaid because I don't know what she would do to me.

"How do you know her?" Holly asks.

"I just came across her one time and we only talked a bit, but I really do not know what she is doing here!" I say.

"What does she want?" Celine asks.