Chapter 41: Homecoming

It felt like an unending carriage ride as we drove through the day and stopped for the night.  I know I should be feeling happy, but I also felt nervous, I could hardly sleep. The next day dragged on in the carriage alone. I know we agreed that I should first go alone and explain everything and then Roze would come in a day or two. I really want my family to love him, but I keep thinking about how we met and decide to leave that part out. 

When we made it to the driveway I decided to get out of the carriage and run the rest of the way and the driver would come with my luggage. I just needed to stretch my legs and get to my house faster. I run through the familiar door and I can smell the sweet smell of fruit cooking. I run into the kitchen and find my mom and Hollis' wife Reina in the kitchen canning different fruit jams. 

"Mom I am home!" I say happily and run into her arms for a hug.

"Anise? what are you doing home? what happened?" Mom asks questioningly shocked to see me in front of her.

"I was able to come home and I have some news, so lets wait until everyone is together before I share so I don't have to do it a hundred times" I explain.

"Welcome home Anise" Reina says and gives me a hug.

"Wow you guys are attempting a lot of jam I see" I say thinking that I don't really remember mom ever making that much before, I guess I never spent a lot of time in the kitchen. Reina looks like a wonderful housewife though, I can see why Hollis needed her in his life.

"I am going to go surprise the boys in the orchard then" I say and I leave them to continue their canning. I walk to the orchard and find them in one row of trees. I pick up an apple and I hide behind a tree and when their backs are turned I hurl the apple at Heath's back.

"Ouch, what the" Heath says rubbing his back and they turn around confused, looking around and then I come running from behind the tree and jump into Heath's arms.

"Anise what are you doing here" Hollis asks confused. Wren then comes around the corner to see what is happening.

"Anise what are you doing here?" and he comes running over and gives me the biggest hug ever.

"Well I am pretty powerful, so I can come and go when I want" I say smiling. After that everyone bombarded me with questions and eventually Dad came over and gave me a hug and listened quietly.

We go in for lunch and I decide to explain since everyone is home now, even Bay came home from school for lunch.

"Okay everyone is wondering why I am home and so I am going to tell you all together. Prince Ren has chosen a wife among the concubines and it is not me, he has chosen Celine who is from Cerulean so that is still some honor in that part."

"So they are letting you just come home because you weren't chosen?" Wren asks.

"Well actually I have some different news that I came to tell you about! You see Prince Ren has a twin brother Prince Roze, and he is the one that I want to tell you about. Prince Roze has offered marriage to me and I am planning to get married to him. He is going to be coming to see us in a day or two" I answer kinda fast. It seemed to take a few seconds for everything to sink in and people sat there with confused faces.

"I can't believe that you didn't write more letters about this" Wren says pouting.

"Sorry Wren, I was dealing with a lot and I didn't know my own true feelings for a while" I try to explain.

"Well this is amazing for you!" Heath says.

"So does this mean you will get to visit us more as a Princess then a Queen?" Mom asks.

"I guess so? I don't think there is as much pressure for me than compared to being made into a Queen?" I answer. The questions kept coming for a while about what the Princes are like, and what I did in the palace, and what I ate. I answered the questions diligently and eventually everyone had to get back to work, so I joined them out in the orchard. I start helping Wren and we finally get a bit of time alone.

"So you are really serious about Prince Roze even though from what you wrote he was harsh with you in the beginning?" Wren asks quietly.

"Please do not share that with the rest of the family please! Yes he has really changed and I think he has dealt with some past heartache and has become a great man and I really love him!" I explain. Wren sighs.

"From what I understand I really think that Prince Ren was a much better man and a much better match for you! I really hope you are not making a mistake you will regret!" Wren says.

"I know I am not making a mistake, and he has been there more often for me than  Ren, you have to understand if I married Ren I am also marrying the country, and your relationship does not come first in that type of relationship! It would be a much harder road!" I explain getting frustrated.

"Well, I think that you have thought it through and I will not say anything about that after today" Wren says giving in. I grab him and give him a tight hug.

"Thanks Wren! I promise you will love him when you meet him!" I say and move farther down the row. The day passed by quickly and I enjoyed just being among my family and hearing them talk about everything that I have missed. After supper I went outside and sat on the swing and just enjoyed the smell of the ocean so close by. Bay came out and sat next to me and didn't say anything.

"Bay? Is everything okay?" I ask surprised that he came to find me.

"Mom has really missed you! Even though she didn't say it much, I could tell."

"Really, well , I have missed everyone too! even you" I joke and hit his arm. Bay doesn't say much else and eventually goes in and I am surprised that he even picked up on anything, he sure can be sweet when he wants to! I sit for a while more and swing and Hollis comes and joins me.

"So you pretty happy with your marriage?" I ask.

"Of course, I got a great girl! but what about you, I noticed you didn't say much about Roze?" Hollis asks.

"Well, he is a great guy, always taking care of me, he can be a bit childish at times, but I never feel lonely when he is around and sometimes just looking at him my heart can't stop beating fast " I explain not even sure how to explain Roze.

"Well that is a bit more reassuring to hear more details"

"Well he is coming over here soon to officially meet everyone and to ask for permission to marry me, even though he is royalty and could just demand for me instead?" I say trying to show that he is trying his best.

"Well this should be interesting" Hollis says.