Chapter 46: Made Clear

The next couple of days went by and we were waiting for Ren and Celine to come back from their honeymoon. Sage has been suspended from working in the infirmary and was not allowed to talk to anyone until the King came back. I tried to talk to Roze but he would not listen to me, instead he would always explain that he was going to wait for Ren to come back before he would decide anything.  I tried my best to comfort Holly by keeping her busy even though I knew she was really struggling with the worry she was feeling.

On the  day of their return we all  waited anxiously hoping to catch a glance of their carriage. Around noon their carriage was sighted and everyone felt a sense of relief. I know Ren will have more of a unaffected view and not be swayed by emotion the way Roze has, I really didn't want Sage to be in danger.

We all run out and welcome the two of them back and Roze whispers something in his ear, this makes me slightly worried that Roze will get to explain everything first. They talk in hushed tones but we have lunch all together first and have a slight welcome back party for them. There are some chosen nobles and the concubines there for the party. I stop and listen to Celine's stories of her honeymoon, at one point  I turn my head and see Roze and Ren walking out the door and going off alone. This makes me worried, so I slowly start inching myself across the room until I am near the exit and slip out and wander around a bit looking for the two of them. I hear voices and push my ear up to the door struggling to hear the voices. I can't hear any real words just voices. All of a sudden the door opens and I fall into the room.

"Anise what are you doing?" Roze says surprised. I stand up.

"Well I was wondering if you were talking about what happened and I really thought I should be there since it mainly affected me and" I ramble.

"Stop Anise, it does involve you but that does not mean you get any say in the decision, for now you have no power" Ren replies almost angry.

"I am sorry, but I really don't think you should do anything awful to Sage, as it was a mistake and he really has no ill feelings toward me, he did nothing on purpose" I say quickly.

"Well the next step is to talk to Sage, and I will do that and if I need to, I will also come and talk to you, but right now you don't have any rights to come and search me out to talk" Ren answers.

"Watch yourself brother, you also need to announce to the public the engagement of the two of us and soon she will be your sister-in-law that changes the entire interaction you will be having with her" Roze says with power in his voice.

"Your right, I am sorry for being harsh, but I will be making the decisions on everything around here and you should respect that" Ren says and then leaves the room.

"Anise, I will be handling this, you are too close to this!" Roze says and looks me into the eyes.

"Well, I think the same of you" I say and leave in a huff going back to the party because I didn't want to talk anymore to Roze as he will just upset me more.

"Anise, did you talk to King Ren?" Holly says as she grabs me.

"I tried to, but it doesn't seem like anything I say will make the difference, this may be something we will just have to watch and hope for the best" I explain. Holly sighs, and I see that she didn't like my answer, but all I could do was pat her on the back.

The next day I go to join the girls in the breakfast room and find Roze waiting there.

"What is happening? What is the matter?" I ask concerned.

"Well, Ren has decided that Sage will be sent away for a year to a master herbalist for a year to study and become better" Roze says.

"What! This is terrible!" I say. Holly then rushes out of the room with tears in her eyes.