Chapter 21: The Returning

I hold the papers in my hands, I feel frozen. I am dying of curiosity of what they say but an overwhelming apprehension fills my heart. I stare at the papers until we stop to pick up Sage. Sage gets into the carriage and notices me with the papers and asks what I am doing. I tell him these are from my mother.

"I know I need to open them, but I feel it will completely change everything about me!" I say.

"I think delaying it will only leave you feeling upset as well" Sage says.

" I know, I will open it now" I say. I open the first letter and see my mother's writing:

Dear Anise,

I, first of all want to say that I have always loved you and will always love you. I just couldn't bring myself to say these words out loud because the circumstances have left a large hole in my heart. First of all I need to tell you that myself and your father are relatives of you, but not in the way you think. Your real mother was my sister and your father was Tyrian and they lived in the palace. Your father was the gardener for the grounds of the palace. Both your parents died very close together, your mom was never healthy and her disease shortened her life. Your father died a couple months after your mother passed away of an accidental fall off a ladder. You were very young when this happened, you were only about 4 years old. You came to live with us not long after this happened. I thought since you haven't remembered anything, that there would be no harm in you not knowing the truth and feeling this hurt that I have carried with me. I am not sure if your brothers even remember a time that you weren't with us, but we thought it wouldn't be  helpful to dig up a past that was only painful. I loved your mother so much and even talking about her not being on this earth is one of the most painful things to think about. Your mom was a beautiful woman inside and out. Your father was a wonderful man and an excellent father to you. I hope you can forgive us for not being truthful to you and hope that you realize that you are our daughter, and our blood, and have not thought anything else. I will love you forever and wish you could be at home right now.

Love Mom

I felt the tears running down my face. I feel so sad and upset and just unable to comprehend. I pull out the next piece of paper and it is a photo of my real mom and father. There is another piece of paper telling me about the photo and a bracelet. The note explains that this bracelet belonged to my father. I pull it out it is a leather bracelet with a gold leaf charm on it. I pull it on my arm and shorten the band to fit. Sage just watches me and doesn't say anything. I compose myself a bit and finally am able to explain.

"Your right, I am adopted" I say.

"Oh I am sorry Anise, I didn't mean to cause sadness for you" Sage says concerned.

"No, I needed to know the truth it is important" I say.

I explain in greater detail about what the letter said and that my real parents are no longer living.

"So that means you lived at the palace before!" Sage says surprised.

"Your right, I guess it is fitting that I am going back to the place where I started from" I say.

We spend the rest of the journey talking about my family, the wedding and other happy things. I try not to talk about too much of the struggles I am dealing with. I just wanted an enjoyable trip and I was pretty tired after the busyness and spend a lot of time sleeping.

We eventually make it to the palace but at this point it is dark outside, so we both say goodbye and head to our rooms to sleep.

The next morning I get up and Daisy comes and helps me get dressed for the day. She keeps looking at me and acting strange.

"Daisy is something the matter?" I finally ask.

"Well something strange is going on in the palace, I am not one to gossip but I feel I need to bring this to your attention" Daisy says.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Well while you were gone a new girl was added to the harem, I am not sure how it happened but she has seemed to take control of a lot of things" Daisy says.

"Really that is really strange."

"Yes, she looks very different she has red hair and her skin has no color like their is no color of blood shining through the skin."

"Really that is very strange, I have never heard of that before either!" I start to feel strange like that is really familiar. I start thinking it may be someone I have met before.

I go down to breakfast and I finally see the girls again. I give Holly a hug and say hello to Celine.

"Anise you have missed a lot of things" Holly says worriedly.

"Yeah, Daisy was filling me in on a little bit, some girl has come into the harem?" I ask.

"Yes, and she is dangerous! it is like she has got Prince Ren under a spell, she is able to spend all the time she wants with him" Celine says.

"She also looks very different and not from this area and her name is Maris" Holly explains. I gasp now I have a really bad feeling about this.

"What is it? do you know her?" Holly asks.

"I think I may know her, but from what I remember she wasn't a bad person" I say.

"I don't like her, not one bit" Celine says. The door bangs open and a woman walks through the door.