chapter 220

You seemed conflicted," Nine suddenly noted, grabbing me back from my thoughts.

My eyes snapped back to her and I sighed.

"Oh, I was just thinking…"

"Don't worry Lady Nadia, I will immediately inform you if they send another book," Estelle then tried to assure me.

A smile formed on my lips.

"Thank you, Estelle."

Estelle returned my smile with her own and we kind of stopped talking for probably a minute. We were just there, enjoying the nice atmosphere, the silence when she suddenly gasped out loud.

"Oh no.. I forgot that I'm meeting Vivienne!" She blurted out of the blue. "I will take my leave first. Goodbye!" She even curtsied before completely leaving the establishment.

"Take care!" I called out after her but the door was already closed.

Oh, well…

"Meow…"

I looked down and a furry black cat slinked right next to the hem of my dress before leaping atop the wooden counter. It rubbed its furry head on Nine's arms lovingly while purring.

"Oh, hey, Luna," sighing, I reached out my hand and stroked its back, "I haven't seen you for a long time. You're still as beautiful as ever," I cooed.

The adorable cat purred back in response and man, do I feel happy just because of that. Furry animals really have my heart. Always.

'I can't resist them! They're just so cute!'

"Meow."

"She said thank you," Nine informed me while chuckling.

I looked up at her and got distracted again.

"I had noticed this before. You really have beautiful eyes," I can't help but comment.

Nine's left brow lifted. She seemed rather amused.

"I do?"

"It's like there are countless stars in them. Like I'm looking into a starry sky…" I elaborated, "--does that sound too sappy?"

Geez. It's like I'm wooing her or something...

But it's true. They're really pretty. The longer I stare at them the prettier it gets. It even felt surreal once I got too into it that I swear I could almost envision an endless nothingness where stars shine like glitters.

I could foresee the void and it was kind of overwhelming in a way. For some reason, I have to do a double-take every time because I feel as if I'm being sucked into them. It was strange…

And bizarre… I don't even know if I found the feeling pleasant or not.

"Hmm, let me help you then…" Nine muttered.

I snapped back to reality and stared at her.

"Huh? Were you saying something?"

She leans forward, the golden bangles around her wrists made a soft clinking sound. I stood incredibly still while wondering what she'sgoing to do. She then picked something atop my head and smiled.

"There was a fur," she said afterward.

Whatever fur that was but after she removed it, I felt as if my body felt noticeably lighter.

"Thanks."

Nine's eyes glimmered.

"You're welcome."

-----**

"Milady, a letter has arrived addressed to you," Freesia announces.

I looked at her through the mirror.

"Oh? Let me see."

She came closer and handed me the envelope immediately. Mari and Erin, who were fixing my hair, stepped aside for a moment to let me do my thing.

The letter was from Gwen and with it, she had also sent a teacup. Specifically, it was an invitation for a small gathering that will be held at the Ethalion estate.

I remember her telling me about this the last time I visited her. So it was scheduled a week from now huh. There was another letter aside from the formal invitation, it was a list of the guests she invited.

Huh. Did she send me this so I would know who I will be dealing with? That's so thoughtful of her.

My eyes quickly scanned the list and instantly noticed that the names are all from influential families.

She's really taking her Duchess training seriously, hmm… Good for her.

"Seems like I have to dress up again," I then blurted out loud for everyone to hear.

I hate dressing up so much that I rarely attend tea parties that I am invited to. And I'm telling you, I get invited a lot. But this is my friend's event so of course, I would definitely come and support her.

"Should we start preparing, milady?" Erin asked me.

"Hmm…"

--**

Note: these symbols [] means that the conversation and scenes exist in a dream.

["Don't try to let it all out at once. Control it… rein it in… That's right, you are doing good sweetie," a woman with elegant hands patted a little girl's head.

Her silver hair was tied up in a bun, not a single lock of hair escaping from it. She was also sporting a smile that brought warmth.

The little girl's eyes were closed as she tried to concentrate. A faint bluish light was emitting from her upturned palms, sometimes almost fading away, fluctuating unstably in accordance to the little girl's feeling.

Suddenly, the little girl opened her eyes, and a flash of rubies exposed themselves.

"Mommy! I did it! My anima talked to me!"

"I knew you would," the woman then praised her.]

I woke up, and I lied there, staring at the ceiling. My first thought was, 'What was that dream about?'. Even though the details are starting to vanish, I could still tell that it was a somewhat important dream.

Like it would somehow explain some things. But I can't remember it now.

I sat up from the bed and stretched.

"Hmmm, that felt good…"

Kuro raised his head and looked at me. He was sleeping on bundled pillows right next to my bed. He used to sleep next to me but I was having none of that now.

Anyway, he perked up and started wagging his eight tails, softly this time. He learned to control his strength which is a good thing.

"It's a little chilly, don't you think so?" I asked him.

Winter is nearing, huh.

"Ah, but what could that dream be?" I grumbled underneath my breath.

Doesn't it suck when you try your best to remember something but fail to do so? More so when it starts to bug you a bit.

"Whatever…" I sighed and brushed the thought away.

It's no use dwelling on something that would just give me headaches.