chapter 257

And maybe… He couldn't make her trust him fully as well…

Leon closed his eyes and breathed. It was painful. He was now reminded why he couldn't move on. All because of his incompetence… broken promises… unfulfilled oaths…

In the end, was she still afraid? Did he even chase away her worries?

The answer was too glaringly obvious it hurts.

He brought glory to the empire, can't he even save his loved ones?

"This… Well, do you understand what this means?" Micahel mumbled almost excitedly and a bit skeptical.

The two digested his words silently and after arriving at a conclusion, the atmosphere immediately tenses up. Yulia's eyes widened, looking boggled.

"The saint in ancient texts?" She almost blurted it out because of how astounding it sounds. She herself is even torn in disbelief. "No way…"

Leon flinched and also had his eyes widened. He understood what the empress said but was even more incredulous than her.

The saint?

"It says that a person with unparalleled powers who can talk to Gods will be born every thousand of years. They don't come from a blessed bloodline, but it's believed that they are the children of God."

Nove l B(in).C OM

The three of them fell silent yet again. This time, the tense air also has a feel of exhilaration. Their mouths won't say it but their eyes showed what they really feel. Though in regards to Leon, he was even more frightened.

"It's a myth. Because there are no records of them appearing before. But..."

Without him finishing his sentence, the two already grasped what he meant.

Leon was immersed in his thoughts at that moment.

'Helen… What are you not telling me? Is this your secret that you hid till your death?'

"Let's keep this a secret for the time being. If it's true… --No, I trust you. If it's really like that, then we shouldn't be too hasty."

The emperor glanced at them with steady eyes. Yulia could feel the gravity of this situation and didn't question him for his decision. That's right, they have to protect Nadia.

The appearance of the saint, whether it's confirmed or not, is a serious topic that shouldn't be handled haplessly.

"Leon, if you can bring Nadia along. I wish to see it with my own eyes. I will send escorts and ask the tower for reinforcements as well."

The marquis sighed but did not reject it. Even if he's a little reluctant, he can't protect her with only his powers alone. With the help of the palace, Nadia will surely be safeguarded.

"Alright…"

----***

N0 v el Next. CoM

I was in the garden and although it's the beginning of autumn now, the plants are still blooming as if it's spring. That is if you ignore the trees shedding leaves in the background. Oh, and it looks fantastic by the way!

Surely, with yellowing leaves falling to the ground, and trees being stripped off of vitality, it shouldn't look pretty. But when I look at the splash of oranges, reds, and yellows, it's so hard to not appreciate it. Death can be so beautifulat times.

"Alright…" I muttered through my breath, clapping once to cheer myself up.

The true purpose of why I'm in the garden is that… I missed going out! Well, that's one of the reasons but the main motive is to summon Kuro.

That's right, you read it correctly. I am going to summon that black fox right here, right now.

Yep, it's the one you're thinking of, that kind of summoning. Except for magic circles written on the ground and a hearty sacrifice. I'm summoning him normally, yes.

Hmm… But wouldn't it normally be like that though?

NovelBin

Anyway, back to the present. You might be wondering how I got this idea. Well, for starters, did you remember that Kai came home for the first time since he went away? And with Kai, Lost would follow along.

Lost is a spiritual entity and he knows all the spiritual shenanigans more than me. Now that I've awakened my magic powers, I can clearly perceive what is up with Lost. I sensed his difference to the living people and how resonant his figure is to nature. It's a bit difficult to explain it to you so let's just… not, okay?

Lost was the one who told me where Kuro was and that he is fine, which I already knew because I could somehow feel him. He also told me how to bring him back, although Kuro would eventually come back himself sooner or later.

Right now, Kuro is actually in the spirit world, recuperating.

The spirit world is where the spirits are. Uhh, duhh. Why am I stating the obvious? God.

Apparently, he exhausted his magic powers from protecting me and retreated to lick his wounds. Even if Kuro looked huge, he's still a developing spirit and is not in his prime yet. And by reaching prime, I mean gaining all his nine tails.

So here I am.

Prepping myself, I steadied my posture and regulated my breath. No reason, I just want to. Ahe~

All I have to do is think of Kuro and will come to me. Sounds easy. How do we do that?

"Lady Nadia, you don't have to stretch your hands."

Lost's comment made me blush. I lowered my arms as soon as he said that.

Right, Lost is with me too. I forgot to tell you.

"You already established a connection with him. You only need to utilize this connection and call him out from the spirit world."

I nodded as a response. I'm a good student after all.

I focused hard and found that connection between us that I could always sense. Afterward, I muttered my wish for him to come into my heart, and repeated the same words in my head.

The air suddenly picked up, but it was still quiet, nonetheless. In front of me, a greenish light converged and then opened, like a tiny crack that was expanding steadily in space. And then a curled form appeared from that opening, engulfed in a thin layer of spiritual dust.

I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding then reached out both my arms again and gently cradled the curled figure in my arms. I couldn't do this before but now, he was so tiny I can't even believe this was the same little mountain I once knew. He was also fast asleep and unresponsive and yet he still listened to my call.

What a cutie…

And I seriously missed this cutie.

With a smile, I hugged Kuro to my chest, feeling all my trepidations disappear with the wind and whispered in his ears.

"Welcome back~"