chapter 252

The little girl's vacant eyes began to shimmer and grinned at her mother as she nodded her head excitedly.

"Will mother show me a magic trick again?" Nadia chirped but was careful enough to not let her voice reach the ears of others.

Helen made a shushing gesture and Nadia instantly pursed her lips in cooperation. Within the confines of the carriage, both mother and daughter were immersed in their world. Nadia watched in wonder as her mother played many tricks for her. A butterfly made in white wisps of light fluttered on Helen's palm and flew over the little girl's head who giggled in glee.

"A rabbit, next!" Nadia requested and Helen heeded.

The guards outside heard Nadia's laughter and couldn't help but feel warm. These men know their young mistress very well. After all, she always plays with them and has won their favors with her adorableness.

Nadia stared at this one-man magic show from her mother with intense eyes. She then looked up at Helen in inquiry.

"Mother, can I do that too? Can I also make pretty lights?"

Helen stroked her head gently and with warmth.

"Of course, if you practice enough. You can do these things and more."

She is aware that her daughter is talented. Even now, she could feel that Nadia's potential is way above hers. And this knowledge both made her happy and worried. This world seems safe but it's not, and Helen is afraid that Nadia would also be dragged in the horrors lurking about.

That's why she made sure that everything was a secret and limited Nadia on what she could do. She doesn't want anyone to find out and would rather want her child to be normal. If she could, she wants to take away Nadia's abilities so she can be safe. Always.

She's afraid that they would discover her, and then take her away. Like what happened to her family and her clan.

Her heart began to waver. She felt that something is not right and that something big is going to happen. Soon? In the future? She doesn't know but she could perceive it.

'Am I running out of time? No… That's impossible…'

She hid so well. Those people won't find them…

The more Helen thinks, the greater her anxiety grows. Her gaze fell on her daughter who was seriously practicing at that moment. With a thoughtful expression, Nadia looked at the little toy she had brought with her. It was a stuffed cotton doll, the size of two adult palms. She didn't notice that her mother had gone mute and was deep in her thoughts.

Novel Top1.OR G

Helen hardened her resolve.

Soon, when they reach their destination, it will be over. This will be over. She won't have to worry about these things anymore. Nadia will finally be safe.

"Mother, look!" The childish voice disrupted her thoughts and brought her back to now. She glanced at her daughter again who was grinning wide, showing a row of pearly white teeth.

"I did it!" Her excited expression confused Helen for a moment but when she finally saw what Nadia was referring to, she was stunned.

"You…" She voiced shakily.

She was staring at the doll in Nadia's hands and it was moving. It stood on its two legs, albeit wobbly, but it was enough to scare Helen's wits.

It seemed to be alive when it's supposed to be not.

Nadia was giddy and she tried to control it again as she put it down, making it walk. The doll wobbled while Nadia started to sweat. She was still not adept at regulating her mana but anyone would hail her as a genius already.

She tried to make it move but the connection was severed and the doll flopped, losing vitality. This made Nadia sad.

"Ah--"

'My daughter is so gifted… I should be happy but I can't…'

She's not certain that she could protect her at all.

Helen, with a solemn expression, grasped Nadia's shoulders and made her look.

"Nadia, listen to me… You must--"

Unfortunately, before she could finish her words, the carriage shook, throwing them off guard.

"What?--" Helen gasped. Her body automatically moved to shield Nadia and gazed outside.

Suddenly, a metallic smell wafted in the air. Helen's body turned rigid.

Blood!

Even before she could compose herself, chaos broke. Dozens of black-robed men emerged one after another from the woods and attacked their entourage. A couple of Herman guards were blasted away without warning under their dumbfounded eyes.

The knights who were used to fighting with swords can't do anything against the robed people's magic offense. These people particularly targeted the carriage and with the feeble cover of the wagon, it couldn't withstand the destructive power and shook again, showing breakage.

Helen's fear came true.

The little girl was confused as to what was happening. She was being smothered by her mother but she could hear loud blasting sounds outside and feel the tremors. Her young heart started beating faster from fright.

"Mother?" She anxiously called out.

The arms around her tightened, almost robbing her off of breath. She then heard her mother mutter no a few times and started panicking.

What was happening? Why is the carriage shaking so badly? Why is it so noisy outside?

She couldn't see and could only sense her surroundings. It was chaotic.

Outside, it was a one-sided massacre. The knights couldn't do anything and fell one afteranother. They couldn't even save the two people inside as they were all killed by these strange magicians.

The silence only made Helen's dread escalate. The door opened wide and a group of men in black robes grabbed the two people inside. Nadia was suddenly removed from the cusp of her mother and was seized by unknown people. She saw her mother being held down by these people.

"No! Let go of my daughter! Nadia!" Helen screamed.

NovelBin

"Mommy!" Nadia also shrieked and struggled to get out of these people's grasps.

Everything was happening too fast. The little girl kicked blindly and waved her little arms without scruples, trying anything to make these bad people hurt. They're taking her mommy away!

"Mommyyyy!" She cried out, again and again, scratching left and right.

She saw her mother do a trick. Thick vines broke from the earth and wrapped some people who were holding her but this only made them get more aggressive.

The leader immediately cut the vines off of him and hit her strongly on the back of her head. Helen lost her momentum and fell weakly on the ground, feeling dizzy.

N0 v el Next. CoM

"No! How dare you hit mommy! I hate you! I hate all of you! Let me go!" Nadia struggled even more and started cursing.

One of them got annoyed and covered her mouth with his hand which made her angry so she bit him without regard.

The man hissed as he retracted his hand, glared at her, and unceremoniously slapped her.. He didn't hold his force back which made Nadia's face numb.